Ivy honey in the brood frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alf20

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
On inspecting stores in the brood, I noticed quite a lot of set ivy honey. Does anyone know if 1) leave it the bees will sort it out or 2) remove frames when the time and numbers of bees is right?
Has any one had the same issue?

On inspecting stores in the brood, I noticed quite a lot of set ivy honey. Does anyone know if 1) leave it the bees will sort it out or 2) remove frames when the time and numbers of bees is right?
Has any one had the same issue?

run the flat of hive tool heavily up an down it..they will have to repair the comb and will remove it to repair it

But i have yet to go into my hives (expect one colony trapped ina corner) and have not been in since september..it must be warmer in bristol

Last edited:
Ensure the bees have easy (and conveniently close) access to water, so they can most easily use the 'set' stores.

They like water to be sun-warmed, with a nice safe mossy 'beach'. Don't make the mistake of thinking that the bees like it 'fresh'. They will notice it most easily if it is a bit smelly ...

They are not supposed to want to drink plain water from a feeder in the hive. hence some would flavour such a thing with a very little of their own honey.

Does anyone successfully use an "entrance feeder" (things rather like a birdcage water-feeder) as a 'drinker'? I note that T's catalogue has a new ultra-cheap version (raid the recycling as the plastic mineral water bottle is not included).

If bees can lick sugar candy, they surely lick every crystallized honey in the hive.

What ever happens, don't brake combs.

Wait for summer that the hive enlarges. Then bees have a place where they move the extra food.

If you have a swarm or a false swarm, it is easy to give crystallized combs to the swarm, about 3 combs and the rest foundations.
Bees are quick to clean frames and use old honey in comb building.

Bees clean combs when they need more space for brooding.
In summer you may give this setup in the brood box:

...wall ..Found..Found..pollen..Crystallized...Br..Br..Br..Br..Found..wall

Last edited:
But i have yet to go into my hives (expect one colony trapped ina corner) and have not been in since september..it must be warmer in bristol

I'm in Bristol and have not been able to do any inspections the most I've done is heft the hives and put fondant on the ones that are light so no its not warmer here although it was a nice day yesterday but still to cold to open them up

Hi Alf20,
My first wintering experience with Ivy honey is that it's all gone. I assume they collected some as they did collect masses of Ivy pollen!

Perhaps if we knew how the colony was overwintered and the current hive configuration, it might help avoid guessing.

What ever happens, don't brake combs.

The Britsh government disagree with you Finman, beekeeper regiter with the National Bee Unit has just received this

March 2013 - Starvation Risk from Cold Weather
March 2013 Starvation Risk. Important Information about Colony Food Levels.

With the continued poor weather looking to persist through to the end of March, colonies may be starting to run out of food (if they haven’t already). It would be advisable to check the food levels by opening the hive and making a very quick observation on their store levels. Key points to remember are:

• The colony may still have stores available which are at the other end of the brood chamber to the cluster of bees. If there are ‘empty’ frames between the two then the bees could still starve, despite food being in the chamber. Move the frames of food directly next to the outer frame where the cluster resides, ensuring that you score each frame of food (not excessively, but enough to stimulate feeding). Be sure not to knock or roll the bees when doing this and to be as quick as possible.

• If the colony has little or no frames of food then give them a block of candy or fondant. You want to aim for about 2.5 kg per hive and although this may seem to be a great expense, it is far less than the money you will have wasted should the bees die.

• Mini plastic bags that are used to store loose fruit in from the supermarket are perfectly acceptable for holding the fondant and cost nothing. Pack the candy in the bag and then pierce holes in the appropriate place once you get to the hive. If the bag seems fragile then you can double bag it (just be sure to pierce both bags).

• At this time of the year we would usually start feeding sugar syrup but with these temperatures it is still too cold. Place the fondant directly above the bees, turning the crownboard if necessary so that one of the porter bee escape holes is above the cluster.

Please be aware that this should be done as quickly and carefully as possible and although it may seem too cold to open the hive now, it is far better to do so knowing the bees are ok than not to and find later that they have died.

For more information please refer to Best Practice Guideline Number 7 – ‘Emergency Feeding’.

The Britsh government ...

• If the colony has little or no frames of food then give them a block of candy or fondant. You want to aim for about 2.5 kg per hive and although this may seem to be a great expense, it is far less than the money you will have wasted should the bees die.

Mini plastic bags that are used to store loose fruit in from the supermarket are perfectly acceptable for holding the fondant and cost nothing. Pack the candy in the bag and then pierce holes in the appropriate place once you get to the hive. If the bag seems fragile then you can double bag it (just be sure to pierce both bags).

[/I]

2 pounds money to feed a hive, ... expencive...

Steal plastic bags from supermarket...

Pay 3 fold price for frames....

2-hive owners will be glad about these advices.

But how to do 1:1 syrup?

I looked my hives in the temp of -5C, because I did not have better. And I added crystallized honey as food. Hives have not done cleansing flight since October.

2 pounds money to feed a hive, ... expencive...

Th0rnes is selling 2.5kg Ambrosia fondant for £13.58, including postage. They want £37 for 12.5kg delivered. It isn't cheap!

Actually, I think it's a rip off, but there are people who'll buy it because they either can't get baker's fondant, or don't think the basic stuff is safe to use.

Th0rnes is selling 2.5kg Ambrosia fondant for £13.58, including postage. They want £37 for 12.5kg delivered. It isn't cheap!

Actually, I think it's a rip off, but there are people who'll buy it because they either can't get baker's fondant, or don't think the basic stuff is safe to use.

Pour 1:2 syrup into combs and stop playing those fansy stuffs. They are mere sugar.

To feed a hive over the whole winter pays only £ 20.

Back