Is this the meanest hive you’ve seen?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuyNir

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
10-15
https://youtu.be/O4ldpyIE5t4

At some point there are no bees inside the box, all are out at him.
Not sure why he didn’t separate the flying bees (by moving the hive away) in order to find the queen...
Do you agree with his actions? Not something you see often.

Wow! I have a mean hive this year that I have just re-queened, but it's nothing like this thankfully.

Looked like a good example of how to really pixxs off a nasty hive to me. Personally I would have walked away and gone back when they had calmed down, split quickly and moved boxes to one side and find the queen, replaced her put hive back together and left alone for a few weeks.
Fella spraying smoke and dancing around for the camera certainly didn’t make it behave any better!
S

looks like a good example of why some people shouldn't be allowed sharp implements.
He did most of the winding up by his faffing around 'I've been to Africa' my a........ if he had he'd know they're not really agressive at call.
Man lives in cuckoo land.
Just about sums up yootoob 'experts' really

It doesn't look much fun, and not well organised.
But for us less experience folk, would a large garden sprayer full of soapy water be a better option to try and dispatch as many bees as possible while dealing with them, to remove any chance of the bad genetics spreading?

I am glad he eventually did the zip up around the neck and...they really didn't like that furry left glove.

It doesn't look much fun, and not well organised.
But for us less experience folk, would a large garden sprayer full of soapy water be a better option to try and dispatch as many bees as possible while dealing with them, to remove any chance of the bad genetics spreading?
Never found the need to, but if you really , really need to dispose of a hive, seal and drop in and seal in l a small amount of petrol would do the job a lot quicker.
S

Last edited:
Never found the need to, but if you really , really need to dispose of a hive, seal and drop in and seal in l a small amount of petrol would do the job a lot quicker.
S

It isn't quick!!! The noise is heartbreaking and it doesn't kill them all dead!
As for the video. Didn't have the sound on but couldn't understand why he spent ages looking for the queen just to destroy the hive!
E

Thats got to be the saddest, in every sense of the word, video about bees I have ever had the misfortune to watch.

Useful to know that you can use detergent solution. At least then the combs and boxes can be reused. ? Is washing them down going to work? Advice here has been use petrol. I'd burn the whole hive if it was polluted with petrol.

I think he should have used the analogy of keeping or killing a vicious dog.

I agree with what he's done but once the attack has got you freaked, flicking your hands and moving too fast it would be better to shut them up and have a think.

His description of bees chasing dogs and children makes it sound as though this is an aggressive colony, but the video showed little aggression. Old leather gloves are an invitation to bee stings. There were no pictures of bees butting his head and the veil was clear of bees. Leaving boxes open and messing about will upset most bees. Requeen by all means, but kill a colony for the sake of a few weeks?

His description of bees chasing dogs and children makes it sound as though this is an aggressive colony, but the video showed little aggression. Old leather gloves are an invitation to bee stings. There were no pictures of bees butting his head and the veil was clear of bees. Leaving boxes open and messing about will upset most bees. Requeen by all means, but kill a colony for the sake of a few weeks?

Were we watching the same video?

Unless there was some physical assault (we had a hive kicked over once), this isn't something that happened overnight.
He said he'd already split it and is now up to 4 boxes.
I'm not sure why he let it get so bad to the point that they had to be destroyed?

It isn't quick!!! The noise is heartbreaking and it doesn't kill them all dead!
As for the video. Didn't have the sound on but couldn't understand why he spent ages looking for the queen just to destroy the hive!
E

As I said, I have thankfully never had to resort to petrol and hope I never do.
I didn't have the sound on either, the images where enough for me to come to a conclusion he didn't have a clue. Not sure what apart from annoying the bees further, but maybe he thought by finding the queen he would solve something ?
Only thing that really intrigued and had my real interest was the stands used, looked pretty useful
S

:iagree:
I had bees from a few years ago that were recommended as supposedly 'locally adapted' and they would cover my veil each time I took the lid off. Took a while but a re-queen sorted them out
S

What troubled me was how long and how many times he had to explain and justify what he was up to.

Latest posts

Back