Introduce new queen to just AS'd colony?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raathistle

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all, after a bit of advise on what to do with the queenless part of an AS. Just done the deed on a hive I obviously didn't double brood quickly enough who have built and filled swarm cells since my inspection on Saturday last week :cuss:. The queen and fliers are fine, but I was wondering if instead of waiting for the cell to hatch and the virgin get mated, whether i could merge with a very small nuc I re-queened as an experiment a couple of weeks ago?

The nuc is essentially 2/2.5 frames in a dumied down polynuc, headed by a new Buckfast queen.

If I can combine the nuc with the q- section what would be the best way to do it?

Thanks

I suppose you will need to take out all Q cells, put the nuc in a dummied down brood box and unite with newspaper? Someone more experienced will post soon, please don't take a newbies musings as gospel! :)

That was basically my line of thought too, just wondered if I should wait a few days or if that's unnecessary. I'll wait and see if any of the more experienced beeks have any thoughts, thanks for the input though :)

No reason why not.....
Use the frame with Qcell to make a new Nuc: adding a couple of frames with bias/stores, shaking in a few extra non flying bees in early afternoon.

Then, put your nuc with Q into a bb / floor in the same place the nuc's already in and unite your remaining AS bb over a sheet of newspaper in late evening/

You don't want to lose any of your flying bees so move the AS and nuc side by side first.

.... it's only my preference to unite with the Q + at the bottom.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back