International Meeting of Young Beekeepers - IMYB

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, so there's a lot of feeling that getting young people into beekeeping is a good thing. Can't argue with that, support it myself. However the "anything that gets young people interested is a good thing" argument takes no account of the realities of limited time and/or funds. Put another way, was the money spent to good effect?

I asked what could have been done differently with the money, and several have come back and said "it was great and it made a profit so don't do it differently".

Does IMYB introduce young people to beekeeping? I can't see how it does, since entrants must already be reasonably skilled beekeepers, picked via competitive selection. Add to this the £925 cost per entrant, and I see an expensive three days that is great experience for the chosen few, but actually does nothing to introduce young people to beekeeping.

There is also a feeling that the TV coverage was worth its weight in gold for recruiting youngsters. I've seen the statement somewhere along the lines of "£60,000 for six minutes of prime time TV was money well spent". Well i'm sorry, I disagree - that camera crew could have spent a day with any of the numerous of the school beekeeping clubs around the country, total cost a few thousand, and would have produced a more authentic 'advert' for young people taking up beekeeping.

We then have the contrast mentioned here of beekeeping clubs/activities in schools, where all are welcome, no prior experience is assumed. Run by volunteers, on a shoe string, but wouldn't a few bee suits etc. be a great help ... This is where the money should have been spent. No prior experience necessary, no barriers to entry, the school/club provides hives and kit and finds somewhere to site the bees. Oh, and hopefully the club will still be running next week, next month, next year, and maybe more than 3 kids can come along and take part.

Think what £55,000 could have done to support these sort of activities! A school club is accessible this week, next week, next year, yet IMYB has given none of that. All that money spent on a three day event, nothing that can be re-used or experienced by others... what a wasted opportunity :hairpull:

Money to set up would certainly help as money in schools is so short now most head teachers would laugh at you if you asked for financial help setting up a beekeeping club. Money for training essential. Probably better to target primary schools as by the time they are In secondary too many see it as simply not coooool!

I asked what could have been done differently with the money, and several have come back and said "it was great and it made a profit so don't do it differently".

This money was only raised because of IMYB coming to Britain.

If you think that money should be raised so that we can encourage more young people in English beekeeping then add it as a proposition to the next ADM.

I'd also suggest though:
* A review of all the young people currently involved - why, how, experiences, what they think the BBKA could do better.
* Then a review of groups to see whether they are interested in doing more
* A review of all the individuals who currently are involved in school bees, training young people - ask for best practice and issues they have faced.

Latest posts

Back