Interesting debris on varroa tray

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vramin

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi Folks.

Just thought I'd share these photos of the debris on a varroa tray 4 days after applying oxalic acid.

I presume that the shiny scales are wax scales that the bees have dropped.

When looking at the pictures in close-up I realised that there are eggs there too, so the bees are clearly trying to raise some brood.

Hi Folks.

Just thought I'd share these photos of the debris on a varroa tray 4 days after applying oxalic acid.

I presume that the shiny scales are wax scales that the bees have dropped.

When looking at the pictures in close-up I realised that there are eggs there too, so the bees are clearly trying to raise some brood.
ta for pic's that's a bit more knowledge for me

Hey Mike: hope you made out OK with that polar vortex. What about the brown bits?

Could be - but stores cappings can sometimes look a bit grubby as well.
But what reason could they have for producing wax?

Hey Mike: hope you made out OK with that polar vortex. What about the brown bits?

Yeah it was cold. We broke -20˚F. Now it's 40 and pouring rain. No bee flight yet since November. More icing and lots of crashes on the highway. Good day to stay home.

I don't know what the brown bits are. A mix I would guess of honey cappings, propolis and whatever. Usual winter debris. I don't see any brood cappings, but focus isn't good. Brood cappings are usually frayed on the edges, and I don't see that.

I don't know the reason for their wax scale production. When was their last nectar, or more importantly, when were they last fed syrup?

Thank you everyone for your replies.

I fed with syrup in October, nothing since.

This colony is in a double-decker nuc (i.e. 2 5-frame nucs). The bees are still in the lower box - I had to remove the top box, which is still full of stores, to apply oxalic acid. This obviously damaged some of the brace-comb between the 2 boxes, so could the bees have been producing wax to repair the damage?

I had to remove the top box, which is still full of stores, to apply oxalic acid. This obviously damaged some of the brace-comb between the 2 boxes, so could the bees have been producing wax to repair the damage?

Or capping brood?

Is it just me or have other members noticed that quite a few people on here seem to enjoy snacking on the detritus found on the inspection board? :puke::puke::puke:

I was just thinking the same .... Yuk ....got to be better ways of investigating the bee equivalent of a birdcage bottom !!

Latest posts

Back