Insulated floor or not.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have insulation on the roof and walls of one of my hives and an OMF. Would it benefit my bees if I added an insulated floor as well.

NO,

insulation a hive is more complicated than you seem to think, you need a cold area below the cluster so that you get no condensation above the cluster, so OMF open to create a condesation area below the cluster...if you wish to, then you can add a empty super (no frames) in winter under the floor to rediuce drafts

your maximum insulation should be above the crown board (closed feed holes) with a ventliated void above the insulation, if you put too much insulation around the brood then the coldest place can be the crown board

NO,

insulation a hive is more complicated than you seem to think, you need a cold area below the cluster so that you get no condensation above the cluster, so OMF open to create a condesation area below the cluster...if you wish to, then you can add a empty super (no frames) in winter under the floor to rediuce drafts

your maximum insulation should be above the crown board (closed feed holes) with a ventliated void above the insulation, if you put too much insulation around the brood then the coldest place can be the crown board

No vented voids here with insulated hives. No open IMFs in winter. Insulated floors make little difference when you winter with a super under BB as I do.. on 30cm high stands..

Maybe London and Southern England are colder than the edges of the Peak District..:paparazzi::paparazzi:

Latest posts

Back