Influence of Temperature and Floret Age on Nectar Secretion in Trifolium

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wightbees

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How long is a piece of string
I was just searching for Nectar producing temps and come across this which I find interesting. I thought I would share .

The influence of temperature on nectar secretion in non-pollinated florets of Trifolium repens was investigated in growth chambers at 10, 14, 18 and 22°C. The effect of temperature on the rate of nectar secretion was significant in all clones. The optimum temperature for secretion in three clones varied from 10°C for a clone of Icelandic origin, to 18°C in a clone selected from a Danish variety. Similarly, the average nectar yield varied significantly among clones of different geographical origin. One clone secreted two to four times more than others at 10°C. The optimum day temperature for nectar secretion was higher when the plants were exposed to low night temperature, presumably a result of decreased night respiration. Nectar accumulated at the floret base until senescence. Evidence for reabsorption of nectar was obtained in four clones. Sucrose, fructose and glucose were identified as the major sugars in the nectar. High night temperatures led to decreased sucrose percentage in favour of glucose and fructose. The frequency of new florets opening per day was not influenced by temperatures between 10 and 22°C in one clone, whereas low temperatures significantly decreased the number of new florets in another. Few or no modified stomata were observed in the epidermis of the nectary. The high variation with respect to nectar secretion at low temperatures, along with the high heritability of this quality, suggests that breeding for high nectar production at low temperature is plausible. The significance of nectar yield in pollination biology is discussed.Copyright 1994, 1999 Academic Press

https://academic.oup.com/aob/articl...e-and-Floret-Age-on-Nectar?redirectedFrom=PDF

Latest posts

Back