incubator temerature

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gower

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
hi all

I've "acquired" an incubator from my father - unfortunately its ancient and the thermostat is stuck at 37 degrees C. Is this too hot for QCs to cope with? I've a batch of plump QCs ready to emerge on Wed/ Thurs this week from a hive which i performed a demaree on recently, so I'm hoping to successfully hatch a few new queens. Any suggestions? What are my chances re the temp of the incubator?

many thanks!

I believe it should be 35C.

If you can move the thermostat up the incubator and place the QCs at the bottom.. This will ensure they are in a cooler position.. And ensure lots of moisture .

thanks for the reply. not sure whether I can do that though, as the heating element is wired into the lid of the incubator, and at the bottom is a small reservoir to hold water for moisture. I'm considering raising one side of the lid a fraction to make it a bit cooler than 37 degrees, however this will then have an adverse effect on the humidity no doubt. I'm hoping that as the queens are a day or so away from emergence that they may be more robust and tollerant to variable which differ from ideal conditions in the hive....

thanks for the link - very useful info. I'll be putting the QCs into roller cages, fixed in place to hang down by a blob of molten bees wax.

Latest posts

Back