Inadvertent swarm prevention?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sutty

From Glossop, North Derbyshire, UK
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 to 12!
I inspected my bees on 23rd, noted one of the brood boxes was getting rather full, and added a super over a QE. I saw the laying queen and eggs were present.
On the 26th I moved this hive onto a new location as part of a manoeuvre to strengthen some splits. It will have lost most of its flying bees to the splits.
Inspecting today (6 days later) I found one queen cell which had been torn down amongst some wild comb built on a bottom bar. There was also a cup. I again saw the marked queen and eggs are present.
My presumption is that I had missed QCs on the 23rd and that the loss of the flying bees had made them give up the idea of swarming (for now!). Odd to only find the remains of 1 QC though!
Any other explanations?

Normally swarming would be several cells (could be many). This looks to me like attempted supersedure whice was aborted. Maybe because they lost the flying bees.
I did wonder about that, but has been laying well, expanding rapidly, and with good brood pattern. :unsure:

Well this colony had 5 or 6 swarm cells on inspection today, so AS done into a poly nuc on original site. Q obliged me by making herself apparent early on 🙂

Latest posts

Back