I'm going to be lined up and shot.......

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The arrival of vespa valutina wasn't due to bee imports. They always seem to find a way.
That one doesn't travel with the bees but seems quite capable of hitching a ride with humans. I suppose it's possible that SHB larvae could travel with plants, but they are much more likely to arrive with bees, along with any mites, viruses and bacteria.

Selection gives you bees that are nice to work with, productive and long lived. You can get nice bees by selecting from amongst your own stocks and by working with other beekeepers. I took this picture on Saturday morning:

Attachments

• LW_Bees2017_2.JPG
    LW_Bees2017_2.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 39
Not stirring any pot, but stating facts. The native honey bee society commenced DNA research years ago and the results were to be available a relatively short time later.....this did not happen. Samples were also sent to the Apigenics lab in Switzerland...again no results published. Lots of waffle/waffle but no hard facts on the amount of Native DNA contained in the AMM bees found currently in Ireland. I put it to you that it was Continental DNA that was found.

You persistently try to stir. Since you have been quite clear that you had an "informant" at the NIHBS conference you know exactly what the position is with regard to sampling, results and publication.
Stop trying to be provocative and wait for formal publication like everyone else.

I am not too far from you I presume. I Have never imprted bees nor have I bought into The native bee yet. All my bees are caught from swarms or decendants of the origonla single nuc I bought from Darren, who is a memenr on here. I had issues with a number of aggressive hives a few seasons ago which I managed to get on top of by taking a zero tolerance attitude to aggressive queens. Basically identifying my most agressive colonies and getting rid of the queen at the apropriate time. Any hives with queen cells were split three ways and all but the best queen dispatched. My bees may be all mongrels, but they are my mongrels. :)

I am not too far from you I presume. I Have never imprted bees nor have I bought into The native bee yet. All my bees are caught from swarms or decendants of the origonla single nuc I bought from Darren, who is a memenr on here. I had issues with a number of aggressive hives a few seasons ago which I managed to get on top of by taking a zero tolerance attitude to aggressive queens. Basically identifying my most agressive colonies and getting rid of the queen at the apropriate time. Any hives with queen cells were split three ways and all but the best queen dispatched. My bees may be all mongrels, but they are my mongrels. :)

"Like"

Latest posts

Back