Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

victor meldrew 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
What -- when eating pickled onions ... only if they are well pickled with serious chillies included in which case PPE might include a pint or so of cold milk ...

Seriously, isn't acetic acid vinegar ?
Yes but only a 4%solution !

Little_bees 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Would the honey taste of pickled onions?
Like more details on that one... PPE could be a serious issue!
Thornes sell Acetic acid 80% for sterilising hives. Yes PPE definitely needed.

Vinegar at 4% is fine for your fish and chips but higher strengths are routinely used for cleaning. I put the10% stuff through my washing machine/dishwasher once a month to keep the scale down. (Extremely hard water in this corner of England.)

Reaction score
Hive Type
national

Vinegar at 4% is fine for your fish and chips but higher strengths are routinely used for cleaning. I put the10% stuff through my washing machine/dishwasher once a month to keep the scale down. (Extremely hard water in this corner of England.)
Also good instead of wd40 or removing rust.. I to have used vinegar for sterilisation

colinlyne 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none

Don’t by at Thornes prices, get it elsewhere much cheaper!

Apple 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
What -- when eating pickled onions ... only if they are well pickled with serious chillies included in which case PPE might include a pint or so of cold milk ...

Seriously, isn't acetic acid vinegar ?
Ethanoic Acid?

Puck 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Just an update for you all: As I was cleaning out the brood box I found dozens of dead larvae on the bottom, as well as noticed that quite a bit of wood is rotting and falling apart. I've decided to scrap the whole thing including the frames.

I've hired a local carpenter to have a Langstroth built (brood box and a 10 frame super), using the the instructions I found online. We decided to use what's locally called Kalantas (Philippine Cedar) it's a hardwood that's found throughout South East Asia.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Just an update for you all: As I was cleaning out the brood box I found dozens of dead larvae on the bottom, as well as noticed as quite a bit of the wood is rotting and falling apart. I've decided to scrap the whole thing including the frames.

I've hired a local carpenter to have a Langstroth built (brood box and a 10 frame super), using the the instructions I found online. We decided to use what's locally called Kalantas (Philippine Cedar) it's a hardwood that's found throughout South East Asia.
Sounds like a good plan to me ... you are starting out with kit that will last you some years. You will find you need more than one set of kit unfortunately ... bees will swarm and you will need the second kit to be able to cope with them. Plus, with two colonies you have more options available for the future - if you lose a colony or have queen problems with two colonies you have the means to fix matters ...

Latest posts