ID, please? Not much left to go on, though...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bontbee

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
more than before
Has anyone got any ideas???

Found on the top bars of the brood nest. It's so propolised, I can't even see if it has two pairs of wings or not. The only distinctive features I can see are the size(!), large eyes, "parallel" venation, the remains very dark "fur" on the dorsal thorax - ginger fur on the ventral thorax and part of the abdomen - and wide segments of the abdomen. No legs to speak of and no antennae. Tried and failed to get a better "headshot", (though the bees did a good job of dispatching it!).

I'd be very grateful for any help, thanks.

Attachments

• DSCF9375.jpg
    DSCF9375.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCF9376.jpg
    DSCF9376.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCF9377.jpg
    DSCF9377.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 32
Looks like a cockroach but only cos of the way it is now.
E

Thanks, E. I thought that, too, but having goggled a few pics, I don't think the eyes are right for one of them. My very first thought was one of the hawk moths, with all the scales nibbled off, but the eyes are wrong for that, too. The eyes look very dipteran to me, but I couldn't find any type of fly that looks like this!

Thank you, Hivemaker, that looks spot on.

I looked at loads of pics of moths, but their eyes looked too small. I can see now that I didn't allow for all the fur that surrounds the eyes. Now that the bees have removed the fur, the eyes are so much more prominent! The cornish honey pic says all!

Thank you all, for all your suggestions. The fab forum comes up trumps again! :cheers2:

Looks like a Locust to me. Which is basically a grasshopper.

We are in the UK aren't we?

Having said that, one of the new residents of the village (Townie), thought grass snakes were poisonous! :icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

Was tempted to say, only if you don't clean them properly & eat them raw!

We are in the UK aren't we?

Having said that, one of the new residents of the village (Townie), thought grass snakes were poisonous! :icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

Was tempted to say, only if you don't clean them properly & eat them raw!

:iagree:You should move to Devon, you'd fit in quite well down here.