I see trouble ahead.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MODNOD

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Well possibly.

Last summer my boss in his wisdom thought it would be a good idea to have three hives on his front lawn which is long (250m) and narrow (60m).
Now the problem i pointed out is we hold the local church fete on this lawn in May each year and i don't think the bees are going to be happy with either the noise or obstacle course, flight path tends to be diagonal across the lawn (hives sited on the edge 25m in from one end).

The options i see are as follows in no set order,

1. Lock them in for the day, it always rains that day.
2. Move them to anther site.
3. Erect a 2metre net all around them and hope.

Your thoughts please.

Move them.

Shut them in and risk melt down.

Fence will not work.

Probability and So*s Law says the most awkward and litigiousness person you know will be the one to get stung.

PH

Or move the fete. Unless your boss is the vicar.

I have been trying that for years and have failed so far, my boss does like his bees on the lawn so may be they should stay and help change the fete location for next year :cheers2:.

Shut them in. They will not melt down if you do the job properly.

Put them on OMF, if not already. Fit travelling screens above, the day before. Close up late at night, not early in the morning. Ventilate as required. The OMF will likely be enough and the travelling screens above can allow you to remove the crownboard and spray the bees with water or weak sugar solution if necessary. The crownboard could be removed and the roof left raised raised for extra ventilation

Some shading for the day may be appropriate, but, as I say, no need to risk a melt down.

If you cannot do the job properly, then move them instead. Don't rely on gravity - a strap to secure each travelling screen would be at least a sensible precaution.

Be sure there is no risk of them wishing to swarm!

Regards, RAB

Shut them in. They will not melt down if you do the job properly.

Put them on OMF, if not already. Fit travelling screens above, the day before. Close up late at night, not early in the morning. Ventilate as required. The OMF will likely be enough and the travelling screens above can allow you to remove the crownboard and spray the bees with water or weak sugar solution if necessary. The crownboard could be removed and the roof left raised raised for extra ventilation

Some shading for the day may be appropriate, but, as I say, no need to risk a melt down.

If you cannot do the job properly, then move them instead. Don't rely on gravity - a strap to secure each travelling screen would be at least a sensible precaution.

Be sure there is no risk of them wishing to swarm!

Regards, RAB

This is the approach i was thinking of plus some netting to stop the missiles the kids (little darlings)are bound to launch in the hives direction.

Shut em in for a day... They may get a bit feisty when you come to open them that evening but it is not a massive problem.

And for once hope that the fete day is a scorching hot summer's day...

Ben P

Ben - not sure that shutting them in and hoping for a scorcher should be said in the same breath!! Poor bees.

I would move the Fete site- must be more than one area available!

Or move the fete. Unless your boss is the vicar.

Or move the fete, unless you are the vicar and God is your boss. LoL

Good Luck. Bosses are like that, full of good ideas and only want the advice that suits them.

Ben - not sure that shutting them in and hoping for a scorcher should be said in the same breath!! Poor bees.

Its a lord of the manor thing (or whos got the biggest one), its a tradition to hold the fete on the lawn.
No worries on a scorcher, it always rains,if by some miricle it is hot i can rig a misting system.

Or move the fete, unless you are the vicar and God is your boss. LoL

Good Luck. Bosses are like that, full of good ideas and only want the advice that suits them.

I just love emails for when it all hits the fan, you know the ones sent six months pryer pointing out the problems.

The local vicar is a beek.

Oooops!!! Thick moment for me. Mis-post!!! I wanted to write "hope not for a scorcher"!!!!

Stupid me.

Ben P

Last edited:
Freudian slip Ben. Now you are outed as having a mischevious sense of humour if it wasn't evident before.LoL

Just watch the vicar to want the bees to fly naturally and then unwittingly serve up honey sandwiches to the masses and all the kids that are of an age to get sticky faces. :party:

Best that someone videos the event for YouTube perhaps. My mind is bursting with the possibilities.

Hang on to the emails.

Leave ...... New Job = New Boss = No problem !!

Latest posts

Back