How to stop robbing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peterbee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
What is the best way to stop robbing from a nuc? I have had more of a problem with robbing this year than ever before - I guess due to the weather.

Reducing the size of the entrance is obviously one way. How about starting to winter feed the other colonies? Is it too simplistic to suppose that fed colonies are less likely to go robbing?

remove the nuc to a safer place if possible, robber colonies cause all sorts of problems and a strain that is not desirable, you could find the colony that is doing this and requeen

redwood is right, move them even if temporarily, if its a nuc you have probably been feeding it to build it up and the robbers now know its easy to get into, feeding them will not stop them

the only way to stop it is to move it to another site.It used to happen to me a lot but now when i make up nucs they are moved to a different site.

Switch the two units around. If you know which one is the robber?

PH

There are a series of videos on YouTube from Redbrook Farm showing the stages of moving a nuc to protect it from robbing.

This is the 3rd of four

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t__PiLOvQ04[/ame]

Reducing the size of the entrance is obviously one way. ...

You can reduce to a REALLY small entrance... 1 cm x 1 cm?
But in this weather just make sure that the nuc has ventilation ...

Some folk have claimed that a sheet of glass in front of the entrance discourages robbers while the residents persevere and find a way round it. Not sure about it myself.

Latest posts

Back