how to clean my 2nd hand super frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks everybody for all youre replys, its down to me to make a decision over t wkend, again thanks

The frames look ok
- then boil them all in water. I am lucky enough to have found an old Burco boiler (£1 from scrap dealer). This sterilises the wood. Job done.
Not quite boiling unless done for a LONG time will not deal with AFB spores.

However over a crown board with porter bee escape removed will allow the uncapped honey to be drawn down to the colony underneath.
This is a good way to spread AFB
It can then be stored for next year. Fumigate with Acetic Acid - be careful though - it's not to be breathed in!
Will not deal with AFB.

Ruary

thanks everybody for all youre replys, its down to me to make a decision over t wkend, again thanks

Well I'm pleased you are not my boss.
All this ............... about over £10 worth of frames.

Forget the vector aspect - if he has been your mentor, you've been in his hives, he supplied your bees, you already have whatever he might have. The movement of disease will already have occurred it is going to.

I'd keep the frames, get the bees to clean them up and you have a ready to go set of drawn comb. If you are going to melt them down - give them back and buy new.

You could disinfect with Formic acid (safety precautions required taken as read)

If you are intricately linked to his beekeeping enterprise, his bees, his comb, his colonies then you may as well have the one benefit - drawn comb, as you will already have any nasties already (hopefully very unlikely anyway).

Adam

Brian Brush's advice reflects the practices carried out in the Buckfast Apiary according to Bro. Adam's book. Annually they dismantled frames and then boiled them in washing soda. Some new frame components were added upon reassembly and then new foundation. Given the source of your bees and the frames my inclination would be to use them.

All this ............... about over £10 worth of frames.

That may be so, but there are more to it than that.

There were multiple supers, - only twelve frames shown, so there may be quite a few more out of shot. The boss might be the wife, holding the purse strings! And some honey into the bargain.

I agree that if provenance is not known - destroy. This little lot could amount to nearly half a hive in value. As I said earlier, if they were used by the mentor and the bees were from the same source, there is no real difference. Just have to be sure.

Further, they are not 'in the flat' and there are no delivery charges. Foundation is not only provided but drawn too - a considerable cost benefit to the beekeeper and of considerable benefit to the bees come next spring.So I am with Hegeebee and Adam.

I would be looking after this cleaned-up comb in a stack over the winter with regular checks, certan spray, regular sulpur burning or ethanoic acid fumigation. If is useable it is a valuable commodity.

Just can't see why the mentor did not supply the options for use and explain the pros, cons and anything else at the time of sale.

Regards, RAB

Melt the wax out and burn the frames.

They make great kindling. :)

Latest posts

Back