How to add more frames...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

italic63

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Hello everyone.
I have a newly mated queen that is doing quite well. Quite active and laying well with a nice brood pattern. The colony was left queenless for quite some time so population is quite small so I had reduced the number of frames in the brood box. Hopefully the population will start to grow again now and soon I will need to add a couple of frames for her to lay on. Is it best to add new frames in the middle next to the brood or on the end?
Thanks

Attachments

• 1F66B27F-5052-42D4-A2C6-AAA2FAC555FC.jpeg
    1F66B27F-5052-42D4-A2C6-AAA2FAC555FC.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
I often place a frame on the edge of the brood next wedged in between a frame of stores or I will place one between two brood frames on the edge.

I often place a frame on the edge of the brood next wedged in between a frame of stores or I will place one between two brood frames on the edge.
Drawn frames I guess ?

No, Foundation if need be or in my case foundation less combs esp when a flow is on.
Do you not find they draw drone foundation and the queen ends up laying loads of drones rather than workers?

I would only put an empty frame in the middle of brood nest once I was able to judge the strength of a colony. In this heat it is not too much of a risk, but a more cautious approach would be to add a frame either side adjacent to the last frame of brood.

Do you not find they draw drone foundation and the queen ends up laying loads of drones rather than workers?

For colony harmony let the bees decide what they need, work with them not against them. Drones cells will be backfilled with honey if need be when the need for rearing drone is no longer needed.

Too small to add frames in the middle, add frames each side of the brood Unless they are working the frames one side then add that side.

Back