How Much honey did you get this year?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Home hive which has a danish buckfast Queen 75lb of osr during may, now has another 6 supers ready to take off mainly balsam, rest of hives (local bees) 2 supers to take off, if it had not been for the buckfast hive I would not have had much

comb honey

:hurray:7 lbs year one and 20 lbs this year so i am very happy.Check out my album : )

Last edited:
264 lbs from 5 hives

No spring honey but things improved and supers removed with plenty of time to let the bees back fill their double broods

if we have a good year next year...it might sink your barge

much better than mine at the other end of the river brent to you

20lb per hive average, no spring honey

if we have a good year next year...it might sink your barge

much better than mine at the other end of the river brent to you

20lb per hive average, no spring honey

Perhaps I can remove the ballast and replace with honey

A narrowboat went down on the Thames last week thankfully everyone plucked from the water no one knows why at the moment but a big wash from one of the tourist powerboats is suspected, its hard to imaging but no speed limit below Tower Bridge and irresponsible thrill seekers are causing a few problems. The river Brent just a bit safer than the Thames.

As for the honey I will be happy with the same next year without the early feeding. They did just great and they are in great locations I realise I am lucky with the sites. Hope things improve for you next year.

I had 62lbs from two hives; thrilled with that as it's been such a difficult year. My 'trouble' colony produced two thirds of that without a mated queen for 2 - 3 months; the other ladies stocked up the brood box and kept alot for themselves, lol!

Has been really interesting to see the difference in the honey; this is their first year in an urban environment; previously they were in a semi-rural area. Much prefer the town honey and it has a definite lime flavour.

off 6 production hives-

180lbs OSR, 150lbs summer ? honey, 130lbs Heather.

Uncapped and extracted 170lbs from 8 hives, got another 10 to do in a few days, happy with what I have got this year.

Second year, started with 3 hives went to ten, combined a few late season just to try and get some thing off them ended up with seven hives and 1 nuc, four of them are on double nationals.

What did I get ...........nothing at all, not a sausage.

There were a couple of brood frames full but I have left them with the bees.

I was prepared to accept nothing in my first year as I got my bees late but this is just depressing and I am still buying my honey in the shops.

At lest none of my hive staved but it was a close run thing

Perhaps I need a new site or maybe a new hobby?

2 cut combs plus extracted about 35lbs from one hive which had been combined after they swarmed and were both queenless - delicious light honey.

An average of 31lb per production colony this year - pretty poor all-in-all but at least it's something.

Nothing from what little OSR there is around here this year (can't recall temperatures getting much above 15c during the flowering season!).

I would like to average 50lb per colony over 4-6 years.....so next year I'll be looking for 70lb+ from each hive! ;)

Second year, started with 3 hives went to ten, combined a few late season just to try and get some thing off them ended up with seven hives and 1 nuc, four of them are on double nationals.

What did I get ...........nothing at all, not a sausage.

There were a couple of brood frames full but I have left them with the bees.

I was prepared to accept nothing in my first year as I got my bees late but this is just depressing and I am still buying my honey in the shops.

At lest none of my hive staved but it was a close run thing

Perhaps I need a new site or maybe a new hobby?

Never give up hope, it sounds a though you split your hives several times! The larger you can keep your hive the better. Ideally you need your hive as strong as possible just before a flow. Experience will help you to know when a flow is likely and how to discourage swarms prior to that time. It will get better....honest, although you will always have good and bad years.
E:music-smiley-008:

The final count will be 240lbs from 3 hives. The last lot extracted is sat in gallon food grade drums to be shared to our 6 beekeeping coop members. There is only one problem, the double brood boxes are full of BIAS and stores so the supers will have to go back on as the bees are still bringing in stores from the HB, rosebay willow herb, heather and now the ivy:ack2: is in bloom.
Oh why did I not listen and go to triple brood (Finman)not worthy

First year had 30lb from 1 hive 56 jars, bad year with 3 swarms :)

A few inches of honey in the bottom of the tank from 3 colonies. Started with 3 and ended with 3 - although it cost us 3 new queens and a lot of work. Hope next year is better.

Sean

Overwintered two swarms that I got last year. Have ended up with four colonies. Started with foundation in supers. Got 114lb of honey. Happy with that!

I have 3 colonies, 2 Nationals amd 1 TBH, I am looking at the prospect of about 12lbs of honey.

Rubbish.

Do you reckon that Black Bees would give better yields in poor weather?

Do you reckon that Black Bees would give better yields in poor weather?

Dissapointingly and frustratingly my best producer this year (so far, there's still the ones on the heather to bring home) has been a hybridised lot which outperformed pure(ish) amm in the same apiary.

Back