How much drone brood is too much?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrossvilleBees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have a queen that laid full 14x12 frames of brood last year but seemed to lay more drones than my other two colonies all year too. Not in every frame, mostly the outside frames, but not at the bottom of the frame where I have been led to expect it, instead scattered in clumps. She seems to be at it again this year and hers is the only hive with drones visible at the door too. I have inspected once (last Wednesday) and no sign of QC's with plenty of space. Any thoughts? Should I be thinking about replacing? If so when is the best time so as not to stall the hives recovery from winter? Thanks Spencer

Wonderful, no need for concern. Think how beneficial this will be for queen mating in your area this spring.

No such thing as a queen that lays too many drones (well, OK, apart from a failing or drone laying queen!).

If you use full sheets of worker foundation throughout the hive there will not be "enough" drone cells. If you go foundationless (use starter strips or similar), there will be exactly the right number of drone cells.

Good to hear it's normal...and the point from gmonag may explain the low levels of drones comparatively in my other hives because I have used worker foundation throughout. Thank you for your time.

Good to hear it's normal...and the point from gmonag may explain the low levels of drones comparatively in my other hives because I have used worker foundation throughout. Thank you for your time.
We charge by the minute :love:

Put your foundation in and don’t worry about it, bees will draw what they need. That will depend on size of colony and time of year. I guarantee if you put drone starters into a hive in the middle of the brood in autumn they’ll draw mainly worker they have no need for drones. Even if you put a box of worker foundation in they can still pull drone cells, they’ll work the gaps between boxes or buckled foundation areas any place they get the chance.

I use starter strips and Let the bees decide on what size cells to build, they know better then I.

Back