How do you look at bees in winter/spring?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chicken

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just wanting to get opinions.
I use smoke, and go down dressed head to toe in suit, gloves etc same as I would doing a full inspection.
If you are simply lifting the roof to have a look through the crownboard and apply fondant or a feeder, how do you do it?

Whatever clothes I have on at the time..Usually overalls. No gloves or veil...

I never used to suit up to feed but since becoming allergic I'm far more cautious. If I'm just popping up to see if they're flying or bringing in pollen I don't bother as I don't get close enough to annoy them.

usually just a hat to keep them out of my hair, for some reason they always go for my hair!!

When it is cold (like 5C) the bees will be clustered, mostly physically unable to fly because of the cold.
Under such circumstances, smoke isn't needed. And you should avoid disturbing/breaking the cluster.
/Added - example - as when treating with Oxalic in mid-Winter.

When they are moving and flying, the usual rules apply.

Try not using smoke anyway.. gently open, cover frames with 'towel', leave for 10 seconds then peel back cover to look. bees usually settled back to work.. none coughing! :thanks: say the bees...

Yep, baseball hat as hair does catch a flier sometimes. And such a hat useful under suit to stop veil blowing against face.

Only suit up if really opening to inspect.

usually just a hat to keep them out of my hair, for some reason they always go for my hair!!

Wish I had the hair for them to go at...

If you are simply lifting the roof to have a look through the crownboard ... how do you do it?

Should have said earlier, this ought not to require suit, smoke, etc.
Particularly if you are careful to avoid bumping and banging the hive as you take the roof off.

/ see-through coverboards (excellent things) are best without holes - which makes it even simpler. I think it is largely the surge of airflow through the hive that sends them 'up' to investigate. No hole, no surge of airflow, no way up and out. Nicer for all concerned! I continue to marvel at how few bees seem to notice that someone has turned the lights on!

QUOTE]

Doesn't matter what I'm doing, I always suit up, even if it's just to lift off the roof to look through the clear crownboard. In my book, I can never be too careful.
Cazza

QUOTE]

Doesn't matter what I'm doing, I always suit up, even if it's just to lift off the roof to look through the clear crownboard. In my book, I can never be too careful.
Cazza

Very well said, Cazza. As one SBI advised, if working in the vicinity of the hives, suit up. Doing anything to the hives, definitely suit up. Suppose they are upset and kranky for whatever reason and a fair few decide to have a go? Is it really worth it? Furthermore, this being the beginners section, is it really good advice to suggest no need for protection and no veil, etc? Totally iresponsible.

i changed fondant for pollen patties tonight.
very glad i suited up , one hive was no problem but the other was a little lively.
the nearly empty fondant container was full of bees.
it's a little cold so they got mardy and tried to tell me to go away.

I agree with Cazza. I have been caught out too many times. Bee jacket for trivia, all in one suit for inspections.

+1

Although I was stung through my jeans a couple of weeks ago when wearing only a bee jacket. ........And I was only stood nearby watching pollen going in. Obviously I was too close for comfort, or perhaps too smelly in bee world!

When I had my first hive, (not sure what age I was but think was pre-teen) I dropped a feeder as it slipped from my hands. I wasn't wearing any protection and they all poured out of the hive and stung me all over. I remember running around stripping off my clothes. My mom stayed up all night with me cooling me down with a wet cloth. That's why I gave up beekeeping for over twenty years, well that and they died, much to my moms relief.

p.s. I made a promise to my wife to always wear a suit. So I do unless just sitting close and watching them.

Particularly if you are careful to avoid bumping and banging the hive as you take the roof off.

/ see-through coverboards (excellent things) are best without holes - which makes it even simpler. I think it is largely the surge of airflow through the hive that sends them 'up' to investigate. No hole, no surge of airflow, no way up and out. Nicer for all concerned! I continue to marvel at how few bees seem to notice that someone has turned the lights on!

Hi itma,
Just wondering where I could buy some of them see through coverboard. Plan to get some for this year.
Regards
Sharon

Hi,
I never wear suit or use smoke when just checking fondant.
The only time I would suit up & smoke would be for inspections.
My bees are lovely & quiet, can stand right beside hives without them coming near me.

Hi itma,
Just wondering where I could buy some of them see through coverboard. Plan to get some for this year.
Regards
Sharon

eBay is a good place, about 10 to 12 quid usually

Been there done that..............never again lol, and what do you do if fondant has gone? put some more on.............. and what do bees do when there is a gaping hole in their roof say no more

I know its a pain in the ass suiting up and lighting a smoker (just in case) but it is your PPE

Been there done that..............never again lol, and what do you do if fondant has gone? put some more on.............. and what do bees do when there is a gaping hole in their roof say no more

I know its a pain in the ass suiting up and lighting a smoker (just in case) but it is your PPE

If fondant needed, then I would suit up.
When checking I don't need to. Fondant is in a clear take out container,so can see through to how much is still there.
I only need to lift roof and take out a section in the kingspan to see container.
Sharon

Latest posts

Back