How do cast swarms work

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunzo

New Bee
Reaction score
I have multiple hives that I split this year. I left one cell in each appeared to be day 7/8.

The weather is so bad I cannot go back in to tear down any new cells they may have created.

The new Virgins should emerge in another 8 days so will the throw a swarm due to there being day 8 cells left in the hive, or will the new virgins tear them down in their respected hives prior to going on their mating flights?

Never had weather this bad during splits so new experience for me

I have multiple hives that I split this year. I left one cell in each appeared to be day 7/8.

The weather is so bad I cannot go back in to tear down any new cells they may have created.

The new Virgins should emerge in another 8 days so will the throw a swarm due to there being day 8 cells left in the hive, or will the new virgins tear them down in their respected hives prior to going on their mating flights?

[

Sorry, misunderstood your post....

Last edited:

Hi whether a colony sends out casts depends on 2 main factors: genetics and how strong the colony is. Oh and the weather probably has a hand in it too.
Some colonies will allow the first virgin to run around looking for competition and she will bite holes in the top of the cell and sting her rivals. She pipes a noise and they quack in return, mainly to let the colony know of their presence. Other colonies will judge they are strong enough to divide again, so will ‘hold’ other cells back and will cast with the first virgin. The process can be repeated so several weaker casts swarm
So like all questions in beekeeping “it depends”...

Although the weather is against us, if I have to then I will go back in and use a large parasol and heavy stand to keep any rain off. Though I will leave it until cells are about 13/14 days if I can.
Tbh if the colony is still very well populated then one can't know if a caste will leave or not if more cells are left unchecked.

It's a question that can't really be answered. Like Hemo, some things need to be done and weather is not always favourable so you find the best way to get them done. Someone to hold an umbrella and smoker is an enormous help.

Latest posts

Back