How can somebody deter bees ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willie Bee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I have just taken over an allotment and the neighbour has several bee hives.

They have never bothered me, but 2014 will be my first growing season, so I'll just have to wait and see.

My other neighbour hates the bees, having been stung last year a few times.

Is there anything he could rub on his skin to deter the bees ? I know one of the Avon products is good to deter midgies, but I'm not sure whether it would work with bees .... it might even make things worse

thanks

no. products more likely to attract attention.

neighbour needs to put up mesh panels to force bees up above heads.

Olbas oil?

Flight paths need looking at and adjusting.

Debris netting they use on scaffolding will work, isn't massively dear and can also be used to keep butterflies and pigeons off your brassicas.

For instance, don't eat bananas before going there... mimics their alarm pheromone and encourages them to sting.
Don't do anything that might make you look like a big black bear. (Dark colours, lots of dark clothing, generally hairy, etc.)
... but as drstitson says - get them up above your heads.
Once they are at cruising altitude they don't bother coming down until they find forage.

Once they are at cruising altitude they don't bother coming down until they find forage.

It is quite common to grow French marigolds among vegetables, especially in greenhouses to deter some bugs .... do bees like these ?

Is there anything he could rub on his skin to deter the bees ?

Read elsewhere that covering oneself with thick mud from head to toe will deter insects, and keep moving around, also eating sh*t loads of garlic can help...he could try these methods out, but course he may not be fond of garlic.

Try using Repel 100 containing 97% DEET. Supposed to be the best insect repellent available.

What about `Bee Quick` which is a non toxic blend of oils and herbs for clearing bees from supers supposed to be safe for bees and beekeepers, i bet it smells a bit though could be worse than being stung :icon_204-2:

I've heard someone else mention that Avon product, I can't remember the name, it's supposed to be good.

I have a friend with a similar problem, but he is the beekeeper and the vacant plot next to his was rented. First thing the guy did was cut down the natural hedge barrier. Then the complaints started. Wasn't helped that he had one hive go queenless and the subsequent bees with attitude patrolling the area. Screens won't help with these.

Has this beekeeper arranged an upward flight path via netting, hedge or similar? A responsible beek would/should take some measures.

He should also be responsible by keeping gentle bees and IMO most are .. gentle that is. Generally problems arise when a colony is queenless for whatever reason, it's their survival and they can become a bit defensive. Obviously there is the worst case, an aggresive colony. They are just a nuisance that should be dealt with (requeening) and away from harms way.

See how things pan out but give that Avon hand cream a go anyway.

Wishing you a great growing season. Like my bee loving friends have already said a barrier of netting or hedging will help greatly. The bees should be flying either over the barrier or another direction. Pollinating and producing great veg and fruit. Happy harvest!

Hello Willie, yes there are chemical sprays you can use to spray on your skin/clothing ..........but why not create a barrier to keep the bees off your plot?......growing a row of Jerusalem artichokes works.

It is quite common to grow French marigolds among vegetables, especially in greenhouses to deter some bugs .... do bees like these ?

Tagetes rather than French marigolds,are used , these to deter whitefly!
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It should be the beekeeper's responsibility to make sure other people are safe, but some people attract insects and, for example, diabetics are often targetted by bees.

Olbas Oil or Clove Oil are meant to keep bees away during an inspection, citronella can kill insects.

There is clothing that's meant to contain a laundry-proof insect repellent, you can get it from Milletts and, probably, other outdoor-type shops. It's meant to keep mosquitoes and ticks away. I've got some Millets' trousers, they seem to work.

I've heard someone else mention that Avon product, I can't remember the name, it's supposed to be good.

Avon Skin So Soft, with a blue label. http://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/alternative-insect-repellent-101-other-uses-for-it.108744/ I have no idea if it works with bees.

I don't think any cream is going to protect you if a bee is determined to get you. Several sounds like way to many on an allotment site with neighbours on either side and I bet there is one that's a bit easily upset. As with the others tall netting would help get the bees up over your heads.

Latest posts

Back