hornets nest

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vast forest areas, yes - but the hornets still seem to prefer to nest on my house :eek:

one year I found 20 wasp hives on my summer cottage property (2500 m2 land).
They sting very seldom. If you step onto hive in forest, then they attack on and it is better run as fast as you can.

somebony/ one has collapsed the box upside down (human, cat...) and brood have died.
Hive cannot be in that position.

I think you missed my point. I took the swarm box down after the first frosts and seeing no more activity.

I took off the lid and pulled out the rail. I then balanced the rail upside down for the photo.
.... turning the rail over was easier than standing on my head! ;)

Oolrait!

Why are brood dead? Have your shelter been so hot that the nest has been cooked?

The colony surely makes in time its queens thay they will not suffer for first frost.

hornets nest

If it's not indigenous - kill it.

Freshwater crayfish
Minx
Japanese Knotweed

so on and so forth

Freshwater crayfish
Minx
Japanese Knotweed

so on and so forth

But, being pedantic or accurate depending on your slant, you do have indigenous freshwater crayfish in the UK, (Austropotamobius pallipes), and here in France we still have some European Mink as well.
http://www.planetepassion.eu/MAMMALS-IN-FRANCE/European-Mink-in-France.html

Of course I agree with the general sentiment, if it isn't native, get rid of it.

Chris

And what about all those imported, non-native queen honeybees, eh? :rolleyes:

But, being pedantic or accurate depending on your slant, you do have indigenous freshwater crayfish in the UK, (Austropotamobius pallipes), and here in France we still have some European Mink as well.
http://www.planetepassion.eu/MAMMALS-IN-FRANCE/European-Mink-in-France.html

Of course I agree with the general sentiment, if it isn't native, get rid of it.

Chris

Yes, I used to supply them to restaurants before they started to disappear due to predation by imports.

Chris

Depends what you call native. native and naturalised are two different things.

... and there are those that are no longer in this country due to overhunting, or environment destroyed. should they be re-introduced?

The sentiment is not black and white. We no longer live in an environment where the strongest survive and the weakest fall by... we are in a truely artificial environment where we choose what parts in the food chain should be allowed to continue.

Especially grey american squirrels:seeya:

Definitely!

--- -

"We no longer live in an environment where the strongest survive and the weakest fall by ...."

That sounds very authoritative but in fact is baloney. Introduced crayfish are swamping and destroying our native stock due to : the strongest survive and the weakest fall

Same for Red squirrels and numerous other species.

Oh, and the stupidity of man - of course!

Einstein said;

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

Last edited:

Should this apply to humans as well.

I think if we went around and killed everything that was not indigenous to this country,plants,trees and wildlife,there would not be a lot left.

Last edited:

I think if we went around and killed everything that was not indigenous to this country,plants,trees and wildlife,there would not be a lot left.

There always appears to be a time frame involved with such matters, but usually anything that has been in a given geographic region for less than 200 years would be considered undesirable and in fact almost always does have a detrimental, if not catastrophic, effect on native species.

Humans could sometimes fall into that bracket I suppose, although I can't think of anywhere that has been inhabited for less than 200 years, I'll leave that to someone else.

Chris

That sounds very authoritative but in fact is baloney. Introduced crayfish are swamping and destroying our native stock due to : the strongest survive and the weakest fall

QUOTE]

Bearing in mind that the American and Italian crayfish was brought into Britain by man, this cannot be a case of natural selection. (with the invasive crayfish also carrying a disease)

There always appears to be a time frame involved with such matters, but usually anything that has been in a given geographic region for less than 200 years would be considered undesirable and in fact almost always does have a detrimental, if not catastrophic, effect on native species.

depending on the point of reference, the european eagle owl is believed to have been living in Britain since before the ice age and almost hunted to extinction in the UK.
Even though there is a release program, this bird has never been recognised as a 'British' Bird so therefore is not protected as our truely native birds are.
... incidentally, Harry Potter caused a huge amount of damage to Owls

Beavers were extinct in the UK in the 16th century but are being reintroduced as have Elk (extinct in the UK 5000 years ago).
Lynx extinct in the 10th century, Wolves in the 17th century and even bears have been considered!)
Wild Boar are now wild again (extinct in the UK 500 years ago)

playing god springs to mind

the european eagle owl is believed to have been living in Britain since before the ice age and almost hunted to extinction in the UK.
Even though there is a release program,

Have you any details of a release program? I have heard of illegal releases/escapes but no release program. I would welcome details even if by PM.

Humans could sometimes fall into that bracket I suppose

Transportation of criminals to Australia 1787-1868. They were definitely different to the natives!

This has always applied to humans - read history - for an incidental, it will show this country's government could do away with crime by getting rid of people who were 'infected with crime' i.e. the criminal classes.

Hitler sought to destroy the Jewish race by vilifying them and making them the cause of Germany's/the world's ills.

The extrapolation to 'kill everything' is yours not mine and a bit pedantic. Trustingly, I believe common sense should apply. The hornet is a new invader - stop it in its tracks is my riposte.

I once had a drunken matelot fall into my cab and shout "Torquay". I would have been a damn fool or pedantic, to think he wanted me to take him to Torquay 80 miles away and not his destroyer 'Torquay' alongside in Portland harbour 5 miles away.

I, and I might have been the only one :cool: wrote to MAFF and Mrs T in the early 80s to ask for imports of bees to be banned in a futile attempt to stop varroa arriving in the UK. Now that's worth extrapolation and the survival of honeybees.

I suspect the UK has lost more than it has gained - on the internet somewhere:

500 species have gone extinct in England in the last 2,000 years

Of the 943 threatened species in England, 412 are restricted to just five sites around the country including the white beam tree and Purple Emperor butterfly.

Mostly due to human expansion and lack of seeing the big picture.

Humans could sometimes fall into that bracket I suppose, although I can't think of anywhere that has been inhabited for less than 200 years, I'll leave that to someone else.

Chris

Plenty of places where they breed and expand population without support though or visit without thought.

Galapagos Islands - shouldn't humans be banned entirely with only very limited numbers of scientists allowed and film crews that are filing for the 'World' viewers not hundreds of them destroying what we can easily see on the box.

Latest posts

Back