Hornets catching bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melon

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Been to look at debris on the varroa trays, and notice quite a few hornets. They are catching a bee at the entrance in flight, and taking the bee to a nearby branch for de-capitation.
I suppose they can only take so many bees a day, but I still don't like my bees under attack. They don't take long to catch a bee either. Other than trying to swat the hornets, which I failed at dismally, are than any magic treatments? I've got wasp traps out, but this year have only caught ants and earwigs. Certainly don't seem to be many wasps about.
I've no idea where the hornets are living. Probably somewhere in the very large wood next to the apiary.
Thanks. Any advice?

You must be a good shot. How do you avoid making lots of holes in the beehives and bees?!?

How many bees can Hornets take from in front of a hive in a day given they are also taking all manner of insects all over the place? 10? 20? 40? 50 even? It's a drop in the ocean given how many there are in a colony and it's the predation you normally notice because it happens in front of the hive. Spiders, especially crab spiders probably kill more.

Chris

I post this every year: Buy a tube of rat glue from the supermarket. Spread this in circles on a board about 2ft square. Place bait, which at this time of the year should be carbohydrate based = strawberry jam or such like, in the middle of the board which is placed in front of the hives. The hornets are attracted to the bait and stick to the glue and die.
Hope this helps!

Very true and don't forget the False Widow that someone had inside their hive.

I can't believe rat glue is even being sold never mind accessible at the local supermarket, it is totally indiscriminate.

Last edited:
Hi Norton,
Do hornets go for strawberry jam if they are after protein?
I know they probably don't take many bees, it's just not nice to witness.....probably I shouldn't look! I expect that most are also foragers that are at the end of their life also, unless they select the juicy young bees!
Thanks for your replies.

You must be a good shot. How do you avoid making lots of holes in the beehives and bees?!?

Well, if you are likely to make lots of holes in the beehives, then you are unlikely to be lucky enough to hit any bees. If you can't figure out how not to hit beehives when shooting at hornets, then you had best give the rifle to someone else . . . ha ha.

Nip them between finger and thumb quickly and when they fall to the floor you can either arrange your for your boot to squash it or if you are doing anything with liquid wax, you can deep fry it and the kids can add it to their collection.

You will be starting their collection . . .?

:iagree: Vile.

Chris
Me to. I caught a blue tit on mine last year so threw the trap away.
Tom Bick has suggested that you house the tray of glue and jam under a mesh so that only wasps get in.........it's a thought.
I've closed down the entrance to two or three bee spaces even on my monster 14 x 12 plus super hive and nothing's getting in (or at least out alive) judging by the dead and shredded wasps dotted about. Bees have to queue but they manage.

I can only say that if you do not appreciate positive input then you are not going to get any more...........

I can only say that if you do not appreciate positive input then you are not going to get any more...........

Hi, I appreciated your input, have ordered some and have made a wire mesh box to put it in, not looking to catch birds, hoping not to catch anything other than wasps but guess its possible.

How did hornets manage to end up on your varroa tray?

The hornets were not in the varroa tray, but flying to the entrance area and grabbing a bee.

Anyone tried a bottle wasp trap, perhaps with cat food and water in to attract the meat eaters?

I have a waspbane trap six feet downwind of the apiary as per karol's instructions. There are quite a few wasps in it but nowhere near the zillions the bottle traps caught last year, I must say though that there are far fewer wasps around the hives than there were last season and I haven't deployed any bottles

Hi there.

Hornets only pick out a hand full of bees per day - call it survival of the fittest.
Bees slow enough to get caught may be old, inexperienced or ill.
So it's not that bad all in all.
Apart from that, hornets are far less aggressive and aggravating than wasps.
Wasps can and will enter hives in the search for food causing great unrest within the colony if the bees do not manage to stop them at the entrance.

Are hornets not under strict legal protection in the UK? (they are here!)

The swallows will have more bees in a day than hornets in a week....shall we put glue on the wires? Naaah. Just let them get on with it.

Greets
Phil

I can't believe rat glue is even being sold never mind accessible at the local supermarket, it is totally indiscriminate.

Rather depends how it is used. If put in a place where birds or rodents pass then you must expect them to be caught. If not, then no trouble.

Are hornets not under strict legal protection in the UK? (they are here!)

No they are not a protected species in either the UK or France but as you say they are in Austria and Germany. Here in France they are doing just fine thanks and right now colony populations are getting right up to full strength.

Chris

"Bees slow enough to get caught may be old, inexperienced or ill"

if the video clip attaches ok you can see that the hornets take guard bees that come out to see what is happening.

ours not only predate at the hive but also around fig trees which the bees are using as a nectar/honeydew source.

re shooting - you just plink the hornets whilst they are on nearby branches decapitating the bee. If you can't hit a stationary hornet at 5-10 yards then agree that you perhaps either need your gun setting up correctly or not use one at all.

Latest posts

Back