Hornet

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eleanor20

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 National 1 TBH 1WBC
Last night my daughter (12y) caught a beastie in her room, and brought it to show me. Look at this massive bumble bee. When I had finished paniking I looked at some old magazines to confirm it was in fact a european hornet. It seems they are much more of a danger to my bees than to us humans. So what should I be doing to keep my bees safe?

I'd worry more about varroa than european hornets :)

I'd worry more about varroa than european hornets :)

:iagree:They take a few bees but many many more bees die a natural death than are taken by both the European (and here) the Asian hornet - No further action required:)

I have European Hornets in my garden and around my hives every year. They come in most often for the soft fruit later in the summer and have never caused me a problem. In my experience they are not as aggressive as wasps and have never stung me.

Had a few hornets enter hives last year, bees soon threw them out and they dont seem to attack in large groups like wasps so I wouldnt worry. Wasps are the next thing to worry about later next month, I am already collecting bottles for new traps.

On Sunday I spotted a queen european hornet make its way into one of the breeze blocks that I use as a hive stand. On investigation found that she had just started her nest in the cavity. It had got to the stage of having the first 6 eggs laid before I destroyed it. Didn't get the queen though and shes now sniffing around the bases of my other hives. I'll have to sort something out to stop this. Don't want the bother of them buzzing me whilst working the hives never mind the possible 'few' bee casualties with a nest under one of the hives.

On Sunday I spotted a queen european hornet make its way into one of the breeze blocks that I use as a hive stand. On investigation found that she had just started her nest in the cavity. It had got to the stage of having the first 6 eggs laid before I destroyed it. Didn't get the queen though and shes now sniffing around the bases of my other hives. I'll have to sort something out to stop this. Don't want the bother of them buzzing me whilst working the hives never mind the possible 'few' bee casualties with a nest under one of the hives.
Is it possible you could change out the breeze block and take it elsewhere?
Not exactly convenient but would solve the problem :)

They are the type of breeze block that has one face open, the other 5 are closed. I had them with the open face downwards, in that way they do not collect dead bees and other rubbish, but apparently attract hornets to nest in them. So my next try will be up the other way up and just put up with the stuff that falls into them.

Come to think of it, 2 of my hives are sitting on breeze blocks :eek:

I found a new hornets nest in an empty five frame nuc box at an apairy a couple of days ago,about the size of a tea cup at the moment with seven wiggling grubs in,took a couple of pictures of the queen in the nest feeding her offspring last evening,lovely creature.

Wow. Lucky you. I've only ever seen one or two Hornets, even though they're meant to be quite common locally. Fabulous creatures.

Got a good few Stag Beetles though.

I found a new hornets nest in an empty five frame nuc box at an apairy a couple of days ago,about the size of a tea cup at the moment with seven wiggling grubs in,took a couple of pictures of the queen in the nest feeding her offspring last evening,lovely creature.

I can just imagine next year 'PH overwintered Nuc of Hornets for sale' !

:biggrinjester::biggrinjester::laughing-smiley-014:laughing-smiley-014

I saw my very first Hornet last year scared the pants off me, realy big yellow head, i was camping with kids so not suited up and therefore being brave.

Made me realise that all the other so called hornets that i had seen before where perhaps just big wasps (queen wasps)? So in fact i have only seen 1 (at lest that i can remember) in 41 years!

Just found a hornets nest in my apiary, watched it for about half an hour and saw half a dozen going in and out.

Fabulous looking insects, im going to leave them alone but I was wandering if the sting is more venemous than a wasp, are they dangerous ?

I had a hornet in my workshpo last night for an hour, doing a thorough inspection of everywhere, great looking thing too, Not one to kill things for the sake of it, so left it alone, as old Clint eastwood said "Buzzards gotta eat same as worms"......

The venom of a Hornet is no more toxic than that of a honeybee or wasp to a normal healthy person. There are however have different constituants of the venom which exites nerves more and therefore is much more painfull.
In the nornal course of events Hornets are not dangerous, but like bees and wasps they hate vibrations caused by chainsaws,hedge trimmers, strimmers and the like, and this can cause them to attack the operator of such a implement.
Hornets should be regarded as gentle giants.

Back