Honey Vinegar

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlievictorbravo

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
2 - 14x12
Now that's something I'd not seen before - Honey Vinegar. Visiting my son and his family in the Northern Beaches area of Sydney, I went to a farmers' market today. One beekeeper - 75 years old and wanting to retire, 500 hives - was selling honey (AU$6 for 1/2 pound in a glass jar, so about £6 a pound weight and AU$20 for 2 1/2 KG in a plastic pot) but he also had 250ml flip-top bottles of Honey Vinegar for AU$12 (about £6).

He found the recipe for the vinegar in a very old book and as he had lots of honey, he had a go at making some. My son, who's a bit of a foodie, reckons it's a good flavoured vinegar (it tasted very bitter/sharp to me). I found a recipe on Google http://archive.lib.msu.edu/DMC/Ag. Ext. 2007-Chelsie/PDF/e149.pdf but it seemed a lot of effort to go to to use up unsold honey.

The basic process seems to be that you make mead then add "stuff" to it to make the alcohol disappear then add special bacteria. With 2 1/2 pounds of honey you could make 1 gallon of vinegar. For all the effort, you'd be getting about over £40 for a pound of honey so if you have spare time and honey, you could give it a go, especially if you're in a "foodie" area.

CVB

Please to see you are enjoying your antipodean oddesey CVB

I sell a honey cider vinegar.... had some ciser get the "wrong" yeast.
Surprisingly have sold about 10 liters in 250ml pretty bottles... need to make some more... so hoping that one of the firkins will have got the "wrong" yeast again!!

Yeghes da

Hi, Thanks for that you two. Will try that in due course. What does it taste like?

Hi, Thanks for that you two. Will try that in due course. What does it taste like?

Son says it's a bit like Balsamic - for me it's very, very sharp but might do well mixed with honey, etc. in a salad dressing.

CVB

Attachments

• DSCN2911.jpg
    DSCN2911.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 37
Thanks to those of you who gave relevant input.

I have printed the doc and am going to give it a go as I have some spare mead.

Latest posts

Back