Hiving a swarm...or not?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Murox. Exactly what I was thinking but I'm not confident enough to know. Will the second super suppress the swarm instinct or is too late and if so I should split? I intend going back in tomorrow to look again and perhaps act on the advice given. Cheers

Have you got a drawn super?
If so put it above the brood and under the QX. Add your other super as planned on top. Take a frame of stores out of the brood and put a frame of foundation right in the middle of the box. Destroy the queen cells and look again in three days. I had one just the same and the ploy worked.

I have one super about to be fully capped but no drawn empties. This is my first full year and drawn comb is gold. That's why I'm keen to let the nuc draw comb but I'm concerned they're too big for the box and I may harm them by keeping it closed to the worker entrance. I did this to stop the queen ascending. To go back to the original answer I have no excluder on the q+ hive as they weren't going up to use it so I took it off. As soon as I did they were rapid at filling it. The new queen was laying like a train and there is a spare drawn brood frame in the hive for her as well as too much honey. But she hasn't used, noticed it, yet. Thank you very much for your advice.

If the honey in the super is ready, extract it pronto so you can reuse the drawn frames. and create some room in the brood box. I would remove queen excluder and place a shallow super full of foundation directly on top of the brood box in your situation and then sort it later on.

Latest posts

Back