Hive treatments

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beauhawk

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I was wondering what recommendations I would get on the subject of external hive treatments?
My new hive arrived a few days ago and as I have plenty of time until I can get my first nuc of bees I can spend time on it.
So, should I paint it, leave it as is (cedar) or oil it?

Thanks

Don't paint it!
I would leave it as is or else use a clear wood preserver. Cuprinol clear used to be "officially" okay. Now unofficial but it's no problem if you do it ahead of time and only do the outside. I've inherited creosoted hives in the past and they've been okay.

Just noticed where you live. I grew up there. Back in a few weeks to visit family and drop a few hives in orchards for pollination.

Last edited:
Mine are painted, because cedar can look a bit "shabby" after a few years (my house is untreated cedar).
But for me, that's the only reason.
And hives treated with oil/beeswax look superb.

Mine are painted, because cedar can look a bit "shabby" after a few years (my house is untreated cedar).
But for me, that's the only reason.
And hives treated with oil/beeswax look superb.

Fancy Luminos living in a shabby 'hive'!
Well, I never!
(I always put her down as a 'skep' sort of gal.)

I do agree with her about the linseed oil/beeswax, though.
Looks really good.

But it needs to be about 15 degrees before it will dry
(unless you can treat them indoors).

Dusty

Fancy Luminos living in a shabby 'hive'!
Well, I never!
(I always put her down as a 'skep' sort of gal.)

I do agree with her about the linseed oil/beeswax, though.
Looks really good.

But it needs to be about 15 degrees before it will dry
(unless you can treat them indoors).

Dusty

Nonsense. They dry perfectly well on the level.

I was wondering what recommendations I would get on the subject of external hive treatments?
My new hive arrived a few days ago and as I have plenty of time until I can get my first nuc of bees I can spend time on it.
So, should I paint it, leave it as is (cedar) or oil it?

Thanks
4 possibilities I follow:

If its good quality cedar do nothing, will weather nicely.
If its "seconds" or budget cedar give the brood box a coat of clear Ronseal and the supers (only out in the summer?) a coat of boiled linseed oil.
If its second hand/damaged/tatty prime and paint it.

If a cedar hive should be fine just left but will weather and turn grey. I paint all mine with Osmo UV Protection Oil 410. No biocides so once dry is safe and hives look good and only have to give them 1 coat every 3-4 years. Is expensive at £20 for ¾ Lt,

Rain just beads of the hives and also the Osmo lets the wood breathe.

Painting protects wood against wetting and dry shrinking. And finally it protects against rottening.

If rottening is some "natural " value. Yo may speed up too the rottening process.

Thanks for the advice from everyone. Seems that you guys and gals will be an important additional source of info for me for years to come.

Thanks again

Latest posts

Back