Hive stand

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tdod

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
2 ish lol
Hi
I know it is advisable to use a hive strap to help stop the hive blowing over and strapping it down to the stand..

How do you hold the hive stand down especially if in an exposed enviroment?

many thanks

I strap them up in the winter, just because it's not unknown for local halfwits to push them over.

Hi
I know it is advisable to use a hive strap to help stop the hive blowing over and strapping it down to the stand..

How do you hold the hive stand down especially if in an exposed enviroment?

many thanks

A concrete block with the strap passed under it gives considerable extra mass.

mine are strapped as they are close to animals.
i hammered a piece of wood about 12 to 18 inches into the ground and tied the hive stand to it .

mine are strapped as they are close to animals.
i hammered a piece of wood about 12 to 18 inches into the ground and tied the hive stand to it .

I was thinking about a stake and strapping the stand to that, was just worried if really rough the hives and stand might blow over.
just wondered if anyone else fixes their stand down?

My hive stand has the four corner post sunk into the ground and held in place by a couple of bags of post mix. I know it's a bit extreme but once it's set it's solid so there's no chance of it blowing over and the hives are secured to it also.

Graeme

I was thinking about a stake and strapping the stand to that, was just worried if really rough the hives and stand might blow over.
just wondered if anyone else fixes their stand down?

mine has never move but the wood is as high as the hive stand acts like a brace at the back and an anchor too.

My hive stands are on wooden pallets and screwed to the pallet with brackets on each leg and the hive strapped to the stand with a ratchet strap.
Worked ok so far

We had this problem as there is a chance of sheep getting into our apiary. We got some fairly stout angle iron which we hammered into the ground and then screwed the legs to it. We only bothered to do 2 legs and its rock solid.

If your hives are very exposed to the wind and weather, have you considered creating a simple windbreak? Even something simple like a brushwood fence takes a lot of pressure off the hive itself and in some cases is better during inspections as it stops the bees getting too cold whilst the hive is open.

We had this problem as there is a chance of sheep getting into our apiary. We got some fairly stout angle iron which we hammered into the ground and then screwed the legs to it. We only bothered to do 2 legs and its rock solid.

sheep can be a pain in the arse

Latest posts

Back