Hive Preservation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oandy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi i have used this product on one of my hives this year, and through the winter with know side effects. Google Lifetime Wood Treatment it can be used clear or light/dark oak. Worth a look for those that dont want to paint hives. Regards Andy

. . . and through the winter with know side effects

So, in the interests of accuracy, would that be "With known side effects" and if so what were they? [one missed character]

or is that "With no known side effects"? [three missing characters in two groups]

The product is sort of damned by faint praise due to your lack of precision. You may as well just have typed the name of the product, explained that it was an alternative to painting and left it at that. You unfortunately didn't actually achieve much more, unless provoking a mild discussion about typos and there significance of course.

Was one of the side effects that the hives were more water proof, and if so, than what?

Your ball . . .

(Glad your beesare doing just fine).

PS - Are you a troll?

quite expensive at £25 for a very very small tub of crystals that you dissolve in a gallon of water

no product details on the packet, it could be ground up uranium ore, that's natural

most internet noise about it just re quotes their publicity bumf

Last edited:
Does 'lifetime' in a hive mean 6 weeks?

Seriously, if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is. It is a water soluble crystal but then does not leach out?

I only offered the name of lifetime for others to look at . in life we make our own jugements if my spelling is all your bothered about then so be it. All i am saying is that my bees don't seemed to have taken any harm as it is an anti fungal agent. I work in damp proofing and timber treatment. i have not used it at work as i do not believe it to be strong enough to eradicate dry Rot/wet rot or wood worm Please your self if you use it or not i am not saying to use it just that i have. Andy

PS - Are you a troll?

If I were being pedantic I might point out that you probably mean "spammer" rather than troll.

A troll is someone who states a provocative view "just" to stir up trouble.

Ya know, if it were there on't outside all winter an' t' bees were inside all winter, I am not really surprised there were 'know' side effects. Prob'ly all washed away by now if it is water soluble.

RAB

Hi Rab
yes i see what you are getting at as well as one or two of the others. The chemicals often only need water or spirt to carry the active ingrediants. Then once dry become fixed. I often use water based damp proof fluid to inject walls to stop rising damp, the water only carries the styrate then the water dries out leaving the styrate to stop rising damp for 30yrs. I also use water based timber treatment to stop dry/wet rot but they would be to savage to use on Bee hives. When i spray timber i spray the timber till refusel which soaks in to at least 5/6mm. Timber fence post are are treated in water based treatments the chemical lasts a long time. Water based stain used on Doors Window ect lasts a long time. I am not trying to sell the product just trying to help other bee keepers with some thing that maybe of use. As i have only been keeping bees for 2 years i also thought it was about time i posted my first post thinking better off it now though. No i am not a Troll or a Spammer just trying to help so look at the product or don,t it is no skin off my nose but i will still use it. It maybe of use against bee fungi i gave some to a fera guy, thought they may try it on some of the fungi that effects Bees. I decided not to infect my bees Fungi just to see if it would work. Regards Andy

Last edited:
Last edited:
Andy.....you post with your questions or recommendations any time,and don't worry about your spelling.

Well said H.
Come on Ho, give a guy a chance !
Andy don't worry about picky comments, a few members are quite precise here, but we all try to do our best.

To the point, I have used Life time wood treatment and think it probably does the job. I won't say to much for fear of being ridiculed but my hives after one winter, not long I agree look, "protected and mature". I was particularly impressed when I did a simple test on end grain and noticed how it had penetrated and turned the wood a greenish colour?
It did seem expensive for such a small amount of additive but hey, scrap steel is £ 220 a ton these days ?

Have fun all.
S

Last edited:
Thanks Hivemaker/ Springer
I didn't know that it had been on the forum before sorry for bring up an old thread. It was about august 2009 when i heard of lifetime.As my spelling is not up to modern standnerds that may post on this forum. I work with my hands not with the pen. Regards Andy

I work with my hands not with the pen.

I am hands, with some pen. :willy_nilly: lol.

:rant:

If we had more hands and less pens the country might be in a much better state. To, or is that too? many smart "bottoms" about these days.

bee-smillie
S

Just treated my new hive with Rustins boiled linseed oil and melted bee's wax.
Thanks for the tip Bros. :)

Just to add my two p's worth.

I have used Lifetime because the treated wood can be used straight away. The hive parts treated look good so far, although this is only after 2 winters. Prior to that I used Cuprinol but you had to leave the wood for a few weeks before use.

Cazza

Latest posts

Back