hive numbers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bar code each roof on the inside - flash the I phone past it and record your findings. The info is sent back to your xls and all you have to do is tidy it up. Aint modern tech wonderful.

Our LA hives have tags but they are the type with an elongated hole that hang over a screw and the head stops them coming off. There are two tags on each brood box one for the hive number and the other for the queen.

Or you could try this :D

20100701155836.jpg

Indelible markers,Roofs,note book and duct tape,for anything i really need to keep track of. Stones are often used as well.

i bought stencil numbers and painted the numbers on the roofs

When I first started and said I would number the hives my FinL (no beekeeping knowledge) said I would do better numbering the bees - as he was sure the 'bits' would move too quickly to make numbering worth while...sod it...he was right again!!

I noticed that at apiary inspections the local SBi numbered the hives, as there was no form of numbering system there already. It was a bit pointless as the colonies in the hives were split for nucs and the kit moved. Not a lot would necessarily check back on his next visit.
Almost a pointless exercise, except that any comments related to the numbered hives on that day.

Queens, I can guess who FinL is but what do the letters stand for?

Simple piece of paper and a pen, draw a plan for each apiary and then number the 'colonies'.

Then record keeping goes with A1C1 (Apiary 1, colony 1), A1C2 etc. with the notes relating to the Queen origin.

That's my method.

Queens, I can guess who FinL is but what do the letters stand for?

They do HONESTLY...stand for Father in Law...although there are days when I could think of other 'more fitting' suggestions!

I take notes when in the fields and enter the results in a spreadsheet when I get home. Every week I give myself a 'hitlist' such of things to do or watch out for with the particular hive, such as swarm risk, or predicting when the hive will need another Super, and making sure I have one ready for the visit... just in case. Also record items such as their configuration (eke, feeders, number of supers, amount of food they consume, how much honey I have taken etc).
Last year, being planned and organised made last year run so much smoother.... Particularly when I was juggling swarm boxes of bees or moving them into hives every other week.

Knowing what hive requires what helps a great deal as I have multiple apiary sites and want to move as little kit as possible..

I also like the idea of keeping the components of the hive dedicated to each hive where possible... i.e. if a super has been on one hive, it will go back to the same hive the following year...

Also, some of my hives migrate...

My wife is a forecast planner by trade and she has taught me a great deal over the years!

On your last comment...ah a man who know's his place !!!:smash::smash:

I have a set of large branding irons in the garage.........ideal for scorching the woodwork with ....

pop over and have a look this weekend if you like

regards

S

Latest posts

Back