Hive Franchising

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susbees

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
35ish
Just had a mailshot from these people. Am I the only one who feels that having a lifestyle hive in a small garden at only £520 a year minimum, a showroom and franchises here just isn't quite right....?

Best of luck to them if they get people to pay that

Don't undervalue yourself

Considering costs and expenditure I am sure that I would charge about that if I had to cost the purchase and upkeep of a hive away from my home apiary.

Cheaper than having a pony in the garden and won't spoil the lawn. Good on him I say. Don't like the photo much of him next to the hive - not smiley or making it look like fun.

For people looking for beekeepers to place a hive on their land. There is a website that does it for free, they could save a packet and get a few jars of free honey. Website is not mine.

I've seen this idea, they sell the honey back to the person as well; so it's more than £520.

Good luck to them.

I'll put 12 hives in your garden for half that as long as I can also drive my Landie across the lawn.

Wow! Anaphylactic shock anyone? Not a risk that I would be taking but 6/10 for initiative. Placid British Black Bee?

Incredible.

Chris - bring your landie in the spring, I'll need to plant some spuds.

Bloody hell! what a rubbish idea.....

If he can get takers and manages the hives well then what is the problem?
They would have to be sensible about assessing the site though but given the overall idea it is going to appeal to the well off who quite possibly have large gardens.

What a recipe for dissaster!
So who is actually looking after the bees?
What happens when the 'Beekeeper' can't get access because the client is out.
When you browse the gallery there are some very interesting locations, with some, there is almost no space around the hives.:hairpull:

Someone once remarked that business is just the extraction of money from others, without actually using violence.

Looks like a favourite to run away with this year's Arthur Daly Prize for Enterprise ...

As a concept no problem. If somebody wants to have a hive without the responsibility of management then why not pay somebody?

As a fair deal? Let's just say I'd predict it might limp along for a year or two before disappearing like a lot of things do. The push to franchise an unproven scheme tells you everything about the mindset. I'd love to know what John Prescott had to say about it.

Concerned about environmental issues, and so they are offering colour-coordinated rent-a-hives ... ?

From the "About us":

"Helen and Steve Fxxxxxx have enjoyed successful careers both home and abroad in Catering Hospitality, Farming, Construction, Building, Property and IT in both corporate positions and their own businesses."

Thinks - if even one of the above 'businesses' or careers had indeed been successful - why was there any need to embark upon the others ?

I read that self-description as: 'we've tried a lot of different get-quick-rich schemes and none of them worked, so we thought we'd see how many mugs might be interested in bees'.

/cynical mode

LJ

Concerned about environmental issues, and so they are offering colour-coordinated rent-a-hives ... ?

From the "About us":

"Helen and Steve Fxxxxxx have enjoyed successful careers both home and abroad in Catering Hospitality, Farming, Construction, Building, Property and IT in both corporate positions and their own businesses."

Thinks - if even one of the above 'businesses' or careers had indeed been successful - why was there any need to embark upon the others ?

I read that self-description as: 'we've tried a lot of different get-quick-rich schemes and none of them worked, so we thought we'd see how many mugs might be interested in bees'.

/cynical mode

LJ

Maybe cynical but probably correct.

i still hold to my initial response albeit maybe a touch abrupt but how will any of these hives be managed in a repeat year like we've just had? The early honey crop eaten, then the colony needing feeding, then swarming like nobodies business....

Good luck to anyone trying to earn a crust but I prefer they didn't do it with bees.....

Latest posts

Back