Hi Everybody

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wries

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I started beekeeping with one hive three years ago, they multiplied quickly the first and second year, last year I had 5 colonies which I was very pleased to get all through last winter.
This spring they all started to built up very early and quickly and became very strong, so I used Pagden and Demaree methods to control their swarming instinct.

But now I feel, I might have overdone it a bit, because now I have 10 strong colonies (bees on14 frames !), that is more hives than I ever wanted.. and already more honey than I ever wanted (be careful what you wish for.. !)

I know, I have been told "this should not be a problem", but if I feel it currently is....

You are right! And next year you will have 20. Sell them, there are people out there who will pay you more money for your bees than for the honey they produce. Sell the hive complete and go and buy a new one with the money!
E

:welcome: wries
Sounds like you must be doing something right :cool:

Welcome, Wries!

You've done we'll.

I guess the issue is, whether "it's all getting too much to handle".

The personal demand is the one to listen to. By the time you start to get really fed up, it will be too late.

And the advice to sell is wise; particularly if you can sell a good, gentle hive to a new Beek.

Dusty

Latest posts

Back