Help!!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Incatatus

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
i have 2 colonies, one is very well behaved the other one is made of pure rage! I kid you not, i need to requeen, but if kill the old queen will it not be one of her daughters who is raised as the new queen and will she be just as aggressive. They are very productive, ontheir 3rd super without osr, but she has to go. thanks in advance

Incatatus,

The next generation may be different.

You have two colonies. Use eggs from the other one for the new queen.

Put the queen in a nuc until the replacement is proved satisfactory.

BTW welcome to the forum.

Regards, RAB

i have 2 colonies, one is very well behaved the other one is made of pure rage! I kid you not, i need to requeen, but if kill the old queen will it not be one of her daughters who is raised as the new queen and will she be just as aggressive. They are very productive, ontheir 3rd super without osr, but she has to go. thanks in advance

I'd wait until at least mid June before trying to requeen, if they are working hard and on to their 3rd super you could upset their rhythm and there is no guarantees of a new queen being able to mate properly if the weather is still unpredictable.

Ok they are a little frisky but they are doing well:hurray:

frisky is putting it mildly, ok if i decide to wait and i want the other colony to requeen them i presume i put some brood in a nuc raise a queen then kill the aggresive queen and an hour or two later introduce the new queen. if that is roughly right i can do some researsh to get the details sorted out. thank you for the welcome to the forum, its agreat site i use it quite often just not needed to post before.

frisky is putting it mildly, ok if i decide to wait and i want the other colony to requeen them i presume i put some brood in a nuc raise a queen then kill the aggresive queen and an hour or two later introduce the new queen. if that is roughly right i can do some researsh to get the details sorted out. thank you for the welcome to the forum, its agreat site i use it quite often just not needed to post before.

You are spoilt for choice for different methods of raising/replacing the queen.

I would put the old queen into a nuc to keep her safe and place the nuc on the site of the current hive and move the main hive a few feet to one side and let them raise a new queen but make sure both have plenty of stores and feed if required. If some thing goes wrong at least you still have the old queen and recombing them is still an option. Killing the old queen limits your options but as you have two colonies you should be ok.

Risk v Reward !

Latest posts

Back