Hello from West Yorkshire

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin_Bee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi All.
I've been lurking around here for a few weeks on and off, and so thought I should say hello:)
I have recently purchased a national cedar hive with the necessary equipment, after acquiring a large allotment on which to keep bees, right on my doorstep almost. I am also in the happy position of being semi retired, so can devote more time to both growing veggies, and keeping bees hopefully.

I have read lots regarding this fascinating hobby, but unfortunately cannot attend any courses. I can't say I'm that sorry about this after reading so many conflicting stories as for good bee instruction, and the bad.
I would like to know of it would be advantageous to obtain a nuc of bees this year, or order some for next spring? Or would it even be possible to lure a swarm to my new hive?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I absolutely love this forum. Hedgerow Pete is my kinda bloke. I wish he lived a bit nearer. Tell it like it is is my motto. It seems to be his also. :) No fuss, don't overspend, la di da. His video's have been priceless, especially the one's making cheap nuc boxes.

Thanks in advance.

Robin.

That'll be one more sequin on his beesuit, then? Soon be covered completely, twice over!!

RAB

Thanks for the welcome folks. :) I would still like someone to advise me on this part of my original post

bee-smillieI would like to know of it would be advantageous to obtain a nuc of bees this year, or order some for next spring? Or would it even be possible to lure a swarm to my new hive?

Hi Robin,

I also live in West Yorkshire and got a nuc about this time last year. It built up nicely and overwintered well so it would be OK if you can get one. On that subject there is a beekeeper in Scarborough selling off 18 hives of bees complete with hive at £100 each. I will PM you with his details.

I would recommend a course. I learned a lot and if gave me a lot of confidence handling the bees on my own. The good people at Wharfedale BKA are very friendly and welcoming. Claro bees in Harrogate are good for cedar hives at very competitive prices.

Good luck and I look forward to hearing how you get on.

Thanks so much for that OtleyBee. I visit Otley quite a lot and have friends there. I would prefer to do a course but its impossible for me to attend any locally. I have studied the subject in great depth now, but have no hands on experience. I do have a national hive ready and waiting for a nuc. The one's in Scarborough sound a bargain. Look forward to hearing from you.

Robin.

Welcome, my advice is to find someone close by to you ,just in case you need help , one hive is okay but two at least is prefferable start this year it will ease you in gently, good luck

Thanks for the advice. I do intend to have at least two hives. I have the one national, and two supers all ready and waiting for now. I did chase after the colonies that were available in Scarborough to be able to make a start this year. Unfortunately, I was too late. The gentleman did say he has some nucs, and there was a slim chance one may be left with a queen, but Its a long shot.
Ideally I would love to find a nuc for sale as soon as possible, hopefully in the
Yorkshire area, so as to make a start this year. I don't really like the idea of sending for one via the internet at any time. I'm hoping someone else like Otleybee my new found friend from a few miles away will read this, and be able to link me to someone who can help.

T would prefer to do a course but its impossible for me to attend any locally.

Impossible to spare a single weekend, or a two hours on a evening one day a month this coming winter, or a day a week for six weeks this summer? All types of courses run by one local association

By the way your location, Batley, is slap bang in an EFB hotspot. (and Scarborough has had AFB problems for the past few years)

Impossible to spare a single weekend, or a two hours on a evening one day a month this coming winter, or a day a week for six weeks this summer? All types of courses run by one local association

That's correct. I could give you 101 reasons but lets stick to one. I can't make it to anywhere unaided. Is that a satisfactory answer? Now I did ask in my original post for advice. I got that. My last post was asking for any help in acquiring a nuc locally if possible as I don't want to have to send for one from someone via the internet. I also agree with the posts against organised courses. The advice I got to become acquainted with a bee keeper locally is my idea of the way forward. I have studied bee keeping in great depth. Its only hands on experience I lack.

I don't think for one second I will ever glean anything like the information I will need to successfully manage bees from a book. But information technology being what it is, and the many willing people I have already been in touch with should certainly give me a better start than those pioneering beeks who paved the way 100 years ago.

Now can anyone help me locate a nuc for my empty national that is just nicely assembled?

By the way your location, Batley, is slap bang in an EFB hotspot. (and Scarborough has had AFB problems for the past few years)

Just as a P.S. to the above post. What do the acronyms stand for exactly. EFB and AFB ? This must be beek speak, as I haven't come across either of these during the extensive reading on the subject.

Still crossing my fingers in the hopes of someone mailing me with a nuc for sale.

Hi Robin. You probably have come across them if you have read extensively. EFB is European Foul Brood and AFB American Foul Brood. Two bee diseases you ought to be aware of. You probably know now they've been explained though.

Good luck with your hunt for a nuc :)

:redface: Yes of course I heard of these nasties. Just not familiar with the acronyms. I think that's a lesson well learned, and all for the asking. I didn't however realise that it was so bad in my area. Thanks Kaz, and Kath. This forum is wonderful.:)

:redface: Yes of course I heard of these nasties. Just not familiar with the acronyms. I think that's a lesson well learned, and all for the asking. I didn't however realise that it was so bad in my area. Thanks Kaz, and Kath. This forum is wonderful.:)

Not a problem. Took me ages to understand all the acronyms lol, there is a sticky on here that lists them all.

Everything I learned so far I put down to this forum, it was the first one I came across and haven't found it necessary to look any further. Everyone has been so supportive and patient with me lol. I tell everyone in our group to join :)

I agree Kaz, Only my first find was the natural bee keepers forum, promoting top bar hives. Whilst I do think the bees would like this method of keeping. I don't think it would be easy for a new comer like myself to start with. This forum seems to have the answers to every possible question, with loads of visuals, or links. A lovely friendly bunch of people also which is a massive plus for me.not worthy

I see you're just over the other side of the Pennines from me, hope the weather is better down the road.

Robin:)

Back