Hello from France

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OursonAnglaise

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Good morning from another newbie on this bright sunny day (well it is here in the Haute Garonne in France). :sunning:

I have had my very first colony of buckfast bees for less than a week - sourced from the apiculturist just up the road from me (well, up the mountain, and around the corner and down the other side a bit). The colony was 'grown in the hive' rather than from a nuc as I had a different sized hive to the norm for the area (They use Dadant and mine is Langstroth), so I have not had to transfer the bees from one home to another....I just placed the hive on the stand on Wednesday evening and let them out.

I live in a semi rural area and my hive is placed facing west towards a hedge, on the other side of which is a large medow full of flowers so I am hoping for some lovely honey later in the year.

I have already spent an enjoyable weekend watching them going in and out of the hive and plenty of pollen has arrived, with, I hope a lot of nectar & I am looking forward to doing the first inspection.....they seem very gentle and have had no problem with me standing close to the entrance to watch them.

The official French paperwork is done (declaration) so now its down to the bees and me looking after them as best I can.

Rachel

The official French paperwork is done (declaration) so now its down to the bees and me looking after them as best I can.

Rachel
:welcome: Rachel
I hope your weather is better than ours. Its raining here today and I have work that should be done :-(
Do you have compulsory registration for beekeepers in France? There has been a lot of talk here about the merits/demerits of such a system.

My first hive was memorable. I envy you the experience and your weather :)

Hope you continue to enjoy it.

Thanks for the welcome.

Yes we have complusory declarations from the very first hive. Its not arduous and there is no fee to pay (at least I've not found reference to one, so if there is I suspect I'll get a letter back telling me so!). From the French government web site it seems that the agriculture agency are very keen on managing the bee population and have a plan for improving the lot of bees.

I will also inform our mayor that we have installed the hive. I don't believe that I have to do this, but we do have nosy-ish neighbours, so I want to get in first and let him know that I've done all the paperwork etc.

Right, back to watching the bees being busy....and my new, fascinating method of wasting time!

Rachel

Yes welcome .. we have a few members based in France so you are not alone. The first year is a lot of fun .. at least you have better weather than we have over here so that make life a little easier. Good luck and enjoy your bees.

Welcome from the Hautes Pyrénées. I am also keenly watching my bees as this is our first year with a swarm and a nuc into the Dadant. The rainy days are petering out now and we are up to 25 degrees and clear skies.
Bees are great just to sit and watch with a cup of tea.

I hope your weather is better than ours. Its raining here today and I have work that should be done :-(
Do you have compulsory registration for beekeepers in France? There has been a lot of talk here about the merits/demerits of such a system.
We have compulsory registration in Italy. The central government knows the number and location of the hives and if you move the hives to collect honey. You can be fined if you forget to register. The whole thing is done on the internet.

Latest posts

Back