Hello from a newbie

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreeFall

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
6 plus a few nucs
Hi All,

Well, I've been lurking for a good while but feel it's time to say hello :seeya:

I've always had a love of the 'Great Outdoors' but if I'm honest I can't recall the point at which I decided to be kept by bees. I think it was an article I read on the decline of honey bees that made me want to "do my bit". So, I discussed it with my better half and she agreed to a hive in the garden, as long as it was a WBC ('so pretty - when are you going to paint it white?'). So, I look around for suppliers and finally settle on a hive from those nice folks in Okehampton, as I'm a Devon boy at heart, and a nuc from Mike in Gloucester which was the fastest/closest I could source bees at the time. Patience is definitely not one of my virtues...

When I went to pick up the nuc my entire beek knowledge consisted of what I'd read in the beginner's book that came with the hive. Despite this, I did manage to get them tucked up and they survive to this day! I even had a frame or two of very nice honey.

Of course I now realise that I should have started with at least two colonies but I didn't want to go to all the expense if the interest wasn't there. It wasn't long before I ordered another hive as the bee bug soon bit me but this remains unpopulated at the moment. I've since learnt a great deal from books and this forum, and my thirst for knowledge continues to grow.

I've not attended any courses yet, I did join a local BKA but only attended one apiary day, so this forum has been a great source of information. It certainly proves the old adage of "ask 10 beeks for an opinion and you'll get 15 different answers" but I think that's part of the fun. From what I can see, in a lot of cases there are different but correct answers and the fun to be had is deciding what's right for you and your charges.

I see quite a few list their location as N. Wiltshire, I'm located just outside "Royal" Wootton Bassett and it would be great to meet up with some of you, especially anyone interested in mentoring. My plans for this year are to increase colonies to populate both hives and perhaps a nuc to overwinter. Longer term plans would be to have an out-apiary with poly hives in 2 locations I have been eyeing up. I have a lot to learn obviously and tend to do that better on an informal one-to-one basis :cheers2:

Good to meet you all and thanks for all of the advice and entertainment so far!

Nick

Hi Nick, and welcome!

If your queen's in her 2nd or 3rd year, you may very well get swarm cells and end up doing an artificial swarm, which could be a good way to fill the second hive.

By the way, if you do paint the lifts, don't paint the tops or they'll stick together!

Hi Nick, I'm in West Wilts so not that far from you, I've just completed my first year and expanded from 1 to 3 hives.

Welcome to the forum, this place is a great source of information and support.

I'd advise getting hold of a copy of Hooper's Guide to bees and honey, I think this is one of the best books available.
:)

Welcome and Good Luck! :)

One word of advice - check pricing before ordering anything...I priced my wax order through all the major suppliers this year - including your hive supplier (and one I use often), as they are closest...they were also the most expensive by +£30...an expensive hobby...but no need to spend for the sake of it...

Welcome Nick
Glad to see someone almost as impatient as me (still haven't done the beginners course or anything)
This place is one of the best places to learn, don't be afraid to ask any questions (just be prepared to receive the odd broadside - and take it on the chin:))

If your queen's in her 2nd or 3rd year, you may very well get swarm cells and end up doing an artificial swarm, which could be a good way to fill the second hive.

I have a Carniolan queen coming into her second year, so I am expecting to have to perform some kind of anti-swarming technique. An artificial swarm does seem to be the way and I'm reading up on the options to decide which is the best technique for me. I think I might put the split into a nuc though and buy in a package of bees and a queen for the second hive, so I have two 'decent' colonies to work from. This time though I fancy getting some 'local' bees - so anyone in the N. Wilts area who could help out there please give me a shout.

Swarms and bait hives also interest me but maybe that's best left for next year...

Hi Nick

I live near Cricklade

I am planning on making some nucs this year. I bought 3 WBC hives with bees off a fellow beekeeper last Autumn who wanted to down size due to old age. Im going to move the bees over to Nationals in the spring and sell off the old WBC's.

James

Latest posts

Back