Hedging Plants

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erichalfbee

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Woodland Trust gave our Local Community Orchard Co-op 100+ for free.....

Thanks, will be popping down to Aldi to see what their trees are like at that price!

I'm looking to plant up a hedge along the driveway that is attractive to bees. I don't really want something that is thorny and bleed me to death every time I prune it so was looking at the following:

Malus Sylvestris (crab apple)
Mespilus (looked it up after Doc referred to it somewhere)
Dogwood (various)

One site suggested Cotoneaster Lacteus but not sure this is hedge material.

Any ideas on other plants would be appreciated.

Aldi have 10-packs of hedging plants for £3.99 this Sunday

Traditional, native and fast growing hedging ideal for screening or creating a wildlife habitat. Choose from the following varieties: Acer, Hornbeam, Hazel, Cornus Alba, Blackthorn, Hawthorn, Rose and Beech.

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_21885.htm?WT.mc_id=2011-11-11-16-34
Thanx for heads up .Already have a hornbeam hedge surrounding apiary A few additions will do for me :D Extremely wind proof and if clipped in June ,throw an extra set of leaves which hang on through the Winter!
VM

VM - that post was made in Nov '11 so not sure the special is still available.

VM - that post was made in Nov '11 so not sure the special is still available.
Thanx for that .
Now I wonder how this post popped up amongst 'New Posts '?
Very strange !!
VM

Not strange. Blame Beeline at 1500h!
No Rab, not beeline :), rather Victor!
Lot's of old threads are resurrected , I was reading down, saw the bargain and assumed it was a new thread :blush5:.
VM

Sorry VM, I did a search on hedge plants saw this thread and thought it the right place to pop the question. Seems Off Topic is..... off the radar and you unfortunately left without a special offer ;)

Hedging

This website has a massive selection of different varieties of hedging that might be worth a look. I did purchase some hedging from them a couple of years ago, it was good quality and very reasonable price

3fatpigs.com

Thanks for that link
I see that the first in native hedging is Alder Blackthorn.
This is highly recommended by finman in another post :)

Thanks bbgould.

I have added some others to my list:

Snowberry
Alder Buckthorn
and a variety of wild roses.

I'm looking to plant up a hedge along the driveway that is attractive to bees. I don't really want something that is thorny and bleed me to death every time I prune it so was looking at the following:

Malus Sylvestris (crab apple)
Mespilus (looked it up after Doc referred to it somewhere)
Dogwood (various)

One site suggested Cotoneaster Lacteus but not sure this is hedge material.

Any ideas on other plants would be appreciated.

What size and type of hedge are you wanting- formal or informal, and what size? C. lacteus is good for say a 6' hedge.

It must look tidy but not laser cut to perfection if that is what you mean? Probably no more than 5'.
Something that provides forage for bees, berries for birds and some colour in winter.

How about putting some mahonia in there.
I have half a dozen tall specimens in the garden. They flower from October to February. There were bees on it today!!!!
There are berries and flowers on it and the garden birds (rather than the clouds of passing thrushes we get stripping the hawthorn and hips) love them.

I have half a dozen tall specimens in the garden. They flower from October to February. There were bees on it today!!!!
There are berries and flowers on it and the garden birds (rather than the clouds of passing thrushes we get stripping the hawthorn and hips) love them.

That's one mean looking bee you have there, forget those imports, I'll stick with what I have.....lol

I'm actually ordering some based on your previous praises elsewhere on the forum but I was thinking they may look better in a relaxed environment, not trimmed twice yearly into a hedge.

All but one of the Chinese Bee tree suckers you gave me have taken so fingers crossed they pull through the winter fine. I'm still trying to find a Hop Tree from a nearby nursery but it looks like I'll have to order in from as far afield as Dorset.

I'm actually ordering some based on your previous praises elsewhere on the forum but I was thinking they may look better in a relaxed environment, not trimmed twice yearly into a hedge.

All but one of the Chinese Bee tree suckers you gave me have taken so fingers crossed they pull through the winter fine. I'm still trying to find a Hop Tree from a nearby nursery but it looks like I'll have to order in from as far afield as Dorset.

Try here...

http://www.plantswholesale.co.uk/browse/mahonia-shrubs-4260/?gclid=CLH20OThua0CFYEhtAodQC-SAQ

Hop tree Hop tree....I knew there was something else I needed :)

You're quite right about trimming the Mahonia.

Glad those suckers are still with you.

I have some seeds of koelreuteria‑paniculata, the golden rain tree, planted outside but kept a few in the fridge to plant in the spring.
I can let you have some if you'd like them.

Off to look at hop trees...............

Blimey.....expensive at Burncoose so will try elsewhere. It likes well drained soil so I guess it can stay in a pot till I move. I'll need a lorry to move all the plants I'm saving.

Latest posts

Back