Hawthorn watch 2018

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeno

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
My hives are foraging nearly exclusively on hawthorn pollen at the moment. I am assuming there is a hawthorn flow this year as hives smell strongly of hawthorn and frames contain medium coloured honey.
Anyone else?

Out and about this week, checking forage as usual, noticed bees on the Hawthorn. One had partly full pollen baskets but was clearly lapping up the nectar. Look into the centre of the flower and you can see the nectar glistening.
For the past two weeks, the Bluebells have been alive with Honey bees. The Sycamore have tons of flowers and a pleasant hum can be heard up in the canopies.

Hawthorn is well out here and has a heady scent. Nothing but hoverflies on it though :(

High ground apiary is surrounded with the stuff, an occasional bee working it this afternoon. Most are speeding off in one direction to a field of rape about 400 yards away.

hawthorn just starting to go over but has been great here. staggering amount of blossom and lasted 3 times longer than usual. OSR has been disappointing but I won't need to extract anytime soon. Just a shame queen issues mean a lot of the hawthorn has got into brood boxes.

Stunning display of Hawthorn here. Bees seem to be choosing it over the osr. Another two weeks or so of both left before they go over.

Stunning display of Hawthorn here. Bees seem to be choosing it over the osr. Another two weeks or so of both left before they go over.

Same here I don't think I've seen it flowering like this before . locally its only just coming into bloom but all hives have second supers put on even the Q- one that is now Q+ . my first honey crop this will be. Tree blossom. Hawthorne flow for two weeks now.

Same here I don't think I've seen it flowering like this before . locally its only just coming into bloom but all hives have second supers put on even the Q- one that is now Q+ . my first honey crop this will be. Tree blossom. Hawthorne flow for two weeks now.

I now hate you :D .. Honestly though i hope you do well, the first crop is always the best but you have hit a jackpot year by the sound of things.
Do Good.. ;)

Probably one of the best displays of Hawthorn I've seen in a few years here but also had loads of Chestnut & Sycamore however the little darlings have just found the OSR 1/2 mile away, buggers!

No osr here but on my walks through the local woods, the smell of hawthorn was overpowering.. Lots of horse chestnut as well..

I have one hive on 4 supers (2 capped) - unheard of for this time of year..

Had the scent of hawthorn on some hives yesterday, fab spring flow so far, I've got hives on five and six supers mostly full and too heavy to lift in pairs, drop of rain this morning too before the scorching weekend so fingers crossed it will all keep going.

2 apiaries 4 miles apart and both with tons of Hawthorne not yet at it's peak. 1 apiary frames dry and queen stopped laying at the other Lots of wetland and nectar pouring in. We need rain.

Just got back from taking dogs out into fields down here in dorset. Never seen such a display of hawthorn flowers. Bursting with them. Just started raining and forecast sunny for bank holiday.. First proper cold winter warm spring timing wise that reminds me of when i was young..

Back