Have yours been out this week?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi MJ,
Sorry yes playcups as you aptly put it.

No worries

The temperature crept above 15'C this afternoon and no cold wind so I opened them up. Still not a great deal of brood but plenty of eggs and plenty of young bees. They were all out from early this morning. I guess it was just too cold here. Aviemore and Benson regularly get the coldest in the UK mention on the weather forecast. I'm 2 miles from Benson.

probably the same distance as your neighbour's door. both of my neighbours were very 'pro' me having bees in the garden ( I do have a site ready to move them to if they turn 'stroppy')

Hi Tony, they look very nice active hives.

Not in anyway to critics but just a couple of comments.

Do you not think they want a bit larger entrance now?

On the hive stands I thought the hives where a bit close, do you find it an issue?

I also keep most of my hives in my garden, but the neighbours are well over 200m away, but I still always think about them.

probably the same distance as your neighbour's door. both of my neighbours were very 'pro' me having bees in the garden ( I do have a site ready to move them to if they turn 'stroppy')

i have the "hospital case" in a very prominet postion and its painted white, just to see what the neighbours say..one is very pro, and the other has not noticed..perhaps i might leave the hive and see

..it might start boiling with bees soon the OSR has just started....

Hi Tony, they look very nice active hives.

Not in anyway to critics but just a couple of comments.

Do you not think they want a bit larger entrance now?

On the hive stands I thought the hives where a bit close, do you find it an issue?

I also keep most of my hives in my garden, but the neighbours are well over 200m away, but I still always think about them.

I run the hives 'cold way', therefore work the hives from the side, so have adequate room for hive manipulations, and the numbers on the front seem to be 'identifier' markings for the bees and there has been no 'robbing' (that I am aware of)

I'll start another thread on hive entrance sizes!!

Another novice question.

When I was doing my course, the instructor suggested pointing hives in diferent directions so that bees found their way back to their own homes rather than to the neighbours. You have obviusly not had this difficulty - which means maybe I can have another hive or two after all!

But where do you get bees that can read their own house number?

my apologies for my poor grammer

This my first hive and only hive, bees bought ..............

Latest posts

Back