Have I made a mistake?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lou from Aus

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi everyone,

This is my first year of my hive, and it's been really flourishing. I've been recently having problems with wasps - as have everyone! - so I got a wasp guard door, closing the entrance right down to try and stop them coming in. Since then my girls have been really busy on the outside of the hive, almost as if they don't understand how to get back into the hive. This has been happening for a few weeks now, and I'm wondering whether I should remove this wasp guard and open it back up again, so that my bees aren't confused? Have I made them all mad at me?? Help!! :eek:

The have no memory or concept of revenge :)
They simply "Do what they do", they know what they need to achieve and just get on with it. I have made so many mistakes this year (first year too), but put it right and they just recover. Bees seem able to survive most attentions of the Beeks.

I think you have to "feel it". I don't have a Wasp problem (yet) never seen one near the hive. I did see a "foreign bee" once, it was obvious, they beat the carp out of it.

Mine don't have a landing board yet, just a hole. They have to line themselves up very carefully to get in. If they miss they have to:
a). Go round again.
b). Land on the grass while they recover (tired coming back I think).
c). Very occasionally land on the hive front and walk in.

You can open up your Wasp guard a bit and see what happens, and then adjust accordingly, open, close. As you feel. The bees just make the best of whatever it is.

I hear that Wasps (if numerous) can devastate a weaker hive, so you may find confusing you bees preferable to making life easier for them.

However. That said. I did see (from this forum) a "Muzzle" (it was a French word like "Moisemeir" or something like that). Which the Frenchies have been using to try and get "Horrid Hornet" (Vespa Velutina) off their girls.

This is basically a board, width of the hive, looked about 6 inches deep with a 25mm mesh curved up to meet the hive. Makes it difficult for the Hornets to operate freely around the entrance and so gives the defenders a bit of an advantage. 13mm Mesh was also mentioned as an option.

I will try to look the article up, because it's a simple thing and may be worth a try :)

Thanks for your reply! I do realise they have no idea of revenge :) ... Though the thought of them being mad at me and setting 'Home Alone' style traps does make me chuckle! I'm sure they're fine, they just spent less time on the front of the hive before I put this guard in.

Thanks again! :)

Not sure what your wasp guard looks like, but if you just reduce your normal entrance down to about 2cm wide it will make it easier for your guard bees to defend and should keep wasps out if it is a reasonably strong colony.
I wouldn't be too concerned about a few bees congregating at the entrance however, if they are all in at night they have obviously found the way in

Set up a wasp trap.

Coke type 2l bottle. Cut of top and a quarter of the straight sides.

Pour in tin of beer. Invert top minus cap and stick inside other half.

KISS

PH

'No idea of revenge'
Mine can single me out from a group of fifty!
I here them cry honey is sweet, you have robbed us, revenge is sweeter!
ZAP,
E

I made a wasp trap out of a coke bottle, they weren't interested at all! :( Too busy trying to get my girls!!

Back