Has anyone tried this?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Arfermo,
I was just trying to establish if there are a couple of different ways in using the taranov board.
As I've only heard of the one way,until I read that paragraph in the book.
As for the rest, I don't need explaining to me, as know how to do artificial swarm.
Thanks again
Sharon

Hi, The queen does not need to be clipped, She wont jump the 3 inch gap between the board and the entrance. What you do is to put something under the board near to the top of the underside of the taranov board, that the queen can grip on to e.g a 3 inch square of carpet. What happens is; when you shake the bees onto the board the flying bees go back into the swarming hive or a hive that has Q cells in it. the queen runs up the board and goes underneath it , she will then cling to the bit of carpet and all the young bees will follow her and swarm around her, Its as simple as that and it works. I think Dave Cushman has wrote about this on His web site. Hope this as been some help

Yes guys I know the taranov method with shaking the bees
Have read David cushmans methods and all about taranov method.
I know what they say to do and how to make the board.

Apologies, please ignore my earlier comment, I wrote it having misread your original post.

I have not tried using a Taranov Board as a swarm trap, and I don't know of anybody who has. I haven't got the book you mention, so am not entirely sure what you're describing.

Do you think you will be trying this method of swarm control / swarm trapping next season? If so, it would be brilliant if you could tell us how it goes.

Apologies, please ignore my earlier comment, I wrote it having misread your original post.

I have not tried using a Taranov Board as a swarm trap, and I don't know of anybody who has. I haven't got the book you mention, so am not entirely sure what you're describing.

Do you think you will be trying this method of swarm control / swarm trapping next season? If so, it would be brilliant if you could tell us how it goes.
Hi BeeJoyful,
Sorry, it was my fault for not explaining as well as i could have.
The paragraph in the book suggests using the taranov board totally different to what i knew was the correct method, being gently brushing or shaken the bees from the hive onto the board.

In the book i was reading, this is what it suggests
This technique relies on the Queen been clipped and unable to fly.
On EMERGING DURING SWARMING,she will fall to the bottom of the slope. Move away from the light to seek shelter under the board. The bees cluster around her and she then can be re hived. You then carry out swarm procedure on the colony left in the hive. The area has to be vegetation free.

Now this is a method i never heard about, and by looks of it, no one else has either.
It suggest a clipped Queen leaving the hive herself without any help (no gentle brushing off or shaken out). So basically its used to prevent your clipped Queen been lost in vegetation to perish. That is if it works !!

I know its easy to perform an artificial swarm, once you have spotted Queen cells and know your bees intent.
But if you had a good young fertile clipped Queen, that you wouldn't like to lose, after maybe missing Q cells during inspection, it would be great if that worked.
That's why, with my curious mind, i had to ask the question.
Both my Queens are this Years. One marked, other not.
In spring i plan to mark the other. As for clipping, not sure, am debating it.

I have checked the net, and also looked through other books i have, but cannot find anything about that way of using a t-board.
Might be worth experimenting at some stage.
I normally just use a spare hive to do an artificial swarm. But if i ran out of equipment, i would then maybe leave one in place, while waiting for new equipment. It might work.....who knows.

I demonstrated the Taranov method for swarm control using the board on one of my colonies earlier this year. I had purposely allowed a colony to be very full and they started to make queen cells. The queen was unmarked and wasn't clipped. All bees were shaken out at the bottom of the board and the queen was left to walk up the board and go underneath. Taranov suggested that the bees that gathered under the board were the bees that would go as the swarm but I think perhaps the method just separates the flying bees and brood from the nurse bees and the queen.

As others have said there are less disruptive methods to acheive the same results.

I'm sure I have read that Brother Adam had sloping boards up to his hive entrances, similiar in size as a taranov board but with no gap between the top of the board and the hive entrance. If the clipped queen was to attempt to leave with the swarm she couldn't fly particularly well and instead of being lost on the ground she would be able to walk back up into the hive.

In the book i was reading, this is what it suggests

This technique relies on the Queen been clipped and unable to fly.
On EMERGING DURING SWARMING,she will fall to the bottom of the slope. Move away from the light to seek shelter under the board. The bees cluster around her and she then can be re hived. You then carry out swarm procedure on the colony left in the hive. The area has to be vegetation free.​
I think there could be a tiny flaw in this idea - the Taranov board is placed a little way away from the hive so that the non-flyers don't cross it.

If the queen can't fly she can still walk, otherwise she wouldn't be able to move around within the hive. But, if she can't fly, she won't make it across a gap and onto the board so could just as easily choose to settle beneath the hive or in a corner of the hive stand as beneath the board.

If the queen is in such a bad way that she can only 'fall to the bottom of the slope', surely the workers would make sure she's replaced quite quickly - it would be supercedure rather than swarming?

I'm sure I have read that Brother Adam had sloping boards up to his hive entrances, similiar in size as a taranov board but with no gap between the top of the board and the hive entrance. If the clipped queen was to attempt to leave with the swarm she couldn't fly particularly well and instead of being lost on the ground she would be able to walk back up into the hive.
This sounds like a basic landing board, one that is propped against the front of the hive?

This sounds like a basic landing board, one that is propped against the front of the hive?

:iagree:

But his hives were on stands 18" or so high and the landing boards were 2-3 feet long.

I think there could be a tiny flaw in this idea - the Taranov board is placed a little way away from the hive so that the non-flyers don't cross it.

Hi BeeJoyful,
The normal taranov method would have a gap between the board and hive.

In this book i am talking about, it says the board is wedged below the hive entrance and the ground, so a bit different.

Maybe you could describe it like a landing board.
Sharon

As others have said there are less disruptive methods to acheive the same results.

Hi fiftyjon,
That sounds right with what i am trying to describe.from this book.
I wonder did he have success with it?
Sharon

He certainly had time to experiment and a labour force to help him, some perhaps weren't always as willing as others. I would also suggest most of his methods came from his personal experience and he didn't do things for the sake of doing things they were always done for a purpose/reason. I would guess it was successful.

He certainly had time to experiment and a labour force to help him, some perhaps weren't always as willing as others. I would also suggest most of his methods came from his personal experience and he didn't do things for the sake of doing things they were always done for a purpose/reason. I would guess it was successful.

Thanks fiftyjon,
Am delighted that at last I found out that this method that is in the book, does in fact exist.

It must not be used much,as cant find anything really about it.
This was first time I read about taranov board used this way,instead of the usual gap way.

And you are the first to know that particular method, that is in the book.
Thanks again
Sharon

But his hives were on stands 18" or so high and the landing boards were 2-3 feet long.
Mine are on stands 17"-18" high. Each landing board is propped against the lower front of the hive, so it does sound the same - but they aren't 2-3ft wide, because each serves only one hive, each one is just a little bit wider than the hive.

I considered it briefly but the extra cost and time to make them, I could't see what real benefit for me they would be.

The width of the board would have been the same width as the hive but the length would be 2-3 feet long, from the entrance to the ground.

Latest posts

Back