Hairs on bee wings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biddly

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I was looking at a bee wing under a microscope in a class yesterday and saw for the first time hairs on the wings..... the question was asked " what purpose do all these hairs serve ? " and no one knew the answer...... what is the answer please.

The creator simply put them there to provide a focus (no pun intended) for beginners microscopy sessions!!!!!

if there were no micro- and ultra-structal details to be seen then microscopy sessions would just consist of looking at things closer up (ie bigger) rather than in more detail!!!!!

When I started to look at beez with my microscope, I came the conclusion that the hairs on the wings were there for maybe two reasons, they would help keep water/rain away from the actual wings and, the hairs would also help in collecting and transfering pollen between similar plants. Did you have a good look at the way the Hamuli hook the front and rear wings together? An wonderful "invention" it also means the bee can unhook the wings and lay them back easilly.

seriously - as above the more hairs the better for initial trapping of pollen before transfer to pollen baskets.

however i presume there is an important aerodynamic role - serving to help create the vortexes around the wings which are necessary for flight using flapping wings.

I was looking at a bee wing under a microscope in a class yesterday and saw for the first time hairs on the wings..... the question was asked " what purpose do all these hairs serve ? " and no one knew the answer...... what is the answer please.
Possibly boundary layer traps ? Tennis balls are filled with air and are surfaced by a uniform felt- covered rubber compound. The felt traps the air flow boundary layer which reduces aerodynamic drag and gives the ball better flight properties.
VM

Last edited:
Don't all the hairs on a bee sense aromatics in the air (or inside the hive) or maybe they sense air movement when the wings are folded? Both sensations adding to their reading of their environment?
Eb

Possibly boundary layer traps ? Tennis balls are filled with air and are surfaced by a uniform felt- covered rubber compound. The felt traps the air flow boundary layer which reduces aerodynamic drag and gives the ball better flight properties.
VM

:iagree:
But do the black and yellow bands on their bodies act like go faster stripes on cars?

Its like the hairs on the palms of my hands...........even looking for them is a sure sign.............at least I am quiet tonight...its not a full moon thank heavens.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HApy-Xoix-g"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HApy-Xoix-g[/ame]

Love this guy he makes the guitar weep with passion one of my favs is
"1952 Vincent Black Lightning" being a bit of a biker it strikes at that part of me lol.
Give it a listen if you can, I think it is on you tube.

Z
;)

Latest posts

Back