Hair Roller cages

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I usually just place the queen cells straight from the cell finisher into the mating hives when ready, but I am thinking of using the hair roller cages just in case I am delayed for a day or so, as work is a bit hectic at the moment and I am worried I might not be able to get to them when needed. I have previously used foil when I needed cells protected.

Just wanted to know - do you leave a few bees in the cage with the cell or close the cage with only the cell in it?

I am possibly going to need to leave them in there until the queens emerge - so can the queens emerge on their own, or do they need some bees to clean off the cap of the queen cell as normally seen in the last few days before they emerge?

I presume you need to close the cage ? The cells are pretty big but presumably other virgins can still get to the base to kill the queen if it is open?

Sorry if it's a stupid question I just don't want to get it wrong and there is not much about this on the web.

Thank you in advance

Just wanted to know - do you leave a few bees in the cage with the cell or close the cage with only the cell in it?

Not a stupid question at all...
You can cage them and use the queenless hive as an incubator or, as I do, transfer them to an incubator. They usually emerge on day 16.
I cage them without workers as they need no help to get out of the cell. The only problem you might get is, if they are left too long banked queens can get their feet chewed by the workers.
This photo will give you an idea what I mean

Attachments

• 2013-07-12 13.24.49-2 (2).jpg
    2013-07-12 13.24.49-2 (2).jpg
    386.3 KB · Views: 67
Many thanks, very informative. Straight from the horse's mouth. Nice picture! I will probably leave them in the queenless hive - not at the incubator level just yet. If I can ask, what sort of incubator do you use?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Many thanks, very informative. Straight from the horse's mouth. Nice picture! I will probably leave them in the queenless hive - not at the incubator level just yet. If I can ask, what sort of incubator do you use?

I have a Brinsea Ova Easy Advance Ex (http://www.theincubatorshop.co.uk/products/details/the-new-ovaeasy-380-advance.html) with the peristaltic pump to control humidity. That is at home. I use the Carricell shown as my profile pic for transporting the cells to the apiary

Last edited:
Impressive. It's like the Big Big brother of my little 40 egg incubator.

Cheers that was my next question. Might start up the little fella and try it on one of the cells.

They're intended as egg incubator but incubate queen cells perfectly...35degrees C 50% Relative Humidity

50%?
I'd been told that the humidity should be higher than that.

Possible winter project to build a box, and I'd appreciate knowing what I'm aiming for - boosting or lowering the humidity!

Last edited:
Are there any UK suppliers of Carricell?

Not as far as I am aware.
I think Swienty carry the smaller 70 cell ones but I'm not sure if they supply the 144 cell version that I have. I bought mine direct from Beeline (http://www.carricell.com/#!carricell-incubator/c22ey) but watch out...HM Customs will sting you about £60 for import duty!

You could make something similar from a poly box with a heating element in the bottom...a damp sponge to provide humidity and you're all set

Not as far as I am aware.
I think Swienty carry the smaller 70 cell ones but I'm not sure if they supply the 144 cell version that I have. I bought mine direct from Beeline (http://www.carricell.com/#!carricell-incubator/c22ey) but watch out...HM Customs will sting you about £60 for import duty!

You could make something similar from a poly box with a heating element in the bottom...a damp sponge to provide humidity and you're all set

70 cell from Swienty works out at £534, I wonder how much it costs direct plus import duty.

I have a Brinsea Ova Easy Advance Ex (http://www.theincubatorshop.co.uk/products/details/the-new-ovaeasy-380-advance.html) with the peristaltic pump to control humidity. That is at home. I use the Carricell shown as my profile pic for transporting the cells to the apiary

That is a nice bit of kit! Never came across that in my search for suitable incubators. Its on my winter shopping list now! TY for the steer. Have two of the larger Carricells but have not used them for a couple of years as we use all the cells at the breeding unit nowadays. Have had some issues with them, and they are fine in our normal trucks but the vibration in the Unimogs send them haywire.

That is a nice bit of kit!

I've had mine for many years but the only problem I've had is that the lights on the front have become detached. I thought about taking the sealant out and re-seating them but its no big deal. It still works fine for what I need it for. Hivemaker talked about just wrapping his in a damp towel but sometimes the weather can be a bit iffy when you need to move cells around. Thats why I bought the Carricell.
The Brinsea is heavy so you won't want to be moving it around much. If you take a look at the video at the bottom of the page they do a bigger model now that they didn't do when I bought mine. It will hold over 500 eggs so it should be big enough for you.

I imagine a lot of things :icon_204-2:
[/url]

You do...read the thread you quoted, that is for a frame of larvae/eggs, nothing to do with wrapping queen cells in a wet towel.

Back