Got my first out apiary. Any advice?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helen

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
Enough
Today I've got agreement from a land owner to park my hives on their land. So I can move my 5 hives from my garden. My neighbour is wary about them, so having them in a local out apiary would be better.

Any advice on managing bees in an out apiary as opposed to the garden?

Strap them down, take spare kit there and keep some garden shears in the car to cut the grass.

Apart from the obvious distance the process is the same.

Hopefully out of sight from thieves and vandals
It will be much better than in your garden
Onwards and upwards

Today I've got agreement from a land owner to park my hives on their land. So I can move my 5 hives from my garden. My neighbour is wary about them, so having them in a local out apiary would be better.

Any advice on managing bees in an out apiary as opposed to the garden?

Any livestock in the field? If so fence the hives in.

Just make sure they are safe and secure, also a bit of shelter if possible from wind and rain etc

Work out how you're going to transport your hot smoker back ... don't set fire to the car.
Leave a bucket of soda in the apiary to soak your hive tools in.
Keep a stack of likely spare kit in the apiary - supers, split boards etc. As Codford suggests, it's a pain having to make a repeat trip.

Buy a van ;-)

Spend some time working out the best place for your hives. It might be different to where the landowner wants them.

Remember that once you have sited them it will be a real PITA should you decide there was a better spot after all

good luck

FB

If possible leave spare equipment on site. It is a tad frustrating when you find you need another super only to find you have not got a spare available without a journey home.

Work out how you're going to transport your hot smoker back ... don't set fire to the car.
Leave a bucket of soda in the apiary to soak your hive tools in.
Keep a stack of likely spare kit in the apiary - supers, split boards etc. As Codford suggests, it's a pain having to make a repeat trip.

Buy a van ;-)
Our local bee inspector uses a hot smoker box from Abelo, or you could try an ammunition box from eBay.

I should have done ... I also saw them at the WLBK Convention. However, I'd only booked carry-on luggage for the return flight ... D'oh!

Helen

unless you plan to keep some bees elsewhere (like a nuc back in your garden) leave the smoker at your out apiary. IMHO buy a smoker per apiary.

Nothing converts a family car to a beemobile (one that no one wants to travel in) more than the sticky yuk of wax and honey or the stink of a smoker

been there?

regards

FB

Last edited:
They are indeed.

One thing to look out for with your new apiary site is how level it is..fine if you have the time and inclination to level them off or adjust hive stands. I treated myself to some of these with adjustable leveling legs, can set up flat anywhere....at a couple of my heather sites it will be a joy to have level hives on their varying contours.
W4033-stojak_pod_ul-new.jpg

Thanks for all the advice. The location is secure. A local company with green credentials is kindly allowing me to locate them inside one of their high security areas. Got to do risk assessments, and make sure groundspeople don't stumble into them though. Groundspeople are ok with them there, so no issues.

My car is a 4x4 pickup, so very suitable for bees, rough going, carrying stuff around etc. So ok on that count.

I'll add in some local storage for tools, supers etc. Good idea to save repeat visits.

Ditto for the ammo box for hot smoker. I've got a couple of smokers, so leaving one on site would be good.

The hives are currently sitting on paving slabs. Need to either take these, or think of another way to level them up. I like the idea of the metal adjustable feet ... maybe I can come up with something suitable. And yes, I saw mole activity. My cat keeps the moles away from my garden.

Looking forward to putting them there! It'll be a bit less convenient than in the back garden, but I'll keep that space clear for nucs and swarms until I move them on.

Latest posts

Back