Got Mites... but NOT varroa

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi, we started beekeeping last year and have one colony over wintering. In the Autumn we treated with Apiguard and didn't have too many Varroa.

On checking the inspection tray this afternoon however for the first time since, I was surprised to see lots of tiny wriggling mites concentrated on one patch of debris (not across the whole tray). They're much smaller than Varroa (several to a pinhead). Under a microscope they'd clearly got 8 legs, a pointy snout and long fine hairs at the back end. No varroa seen.

Any idea what we've got? Should we be concerned? Suggested treatments if any?

I've attached an image of something similar looking - I'm not saying it's the same (our microscope came from Toys-r-us I think) but it's the closest I could find! Also a video clip but they're too small to see much.

Any help appreciated.

'Norfolk Mongrels'

Attachments

• 512px-Dermanyssid-mite.jpg
    512px-Dermanyssid-mite.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Small mites wriggling.avi
    879.7 KB · Views: 26
Has the inspection tray been in over winter? It should be removed when not 'in use' as the debris gets trapped on it and the bees can't access it to clean it. Thus you get bugs etc feeding on the hive rubbish.

Has the inspection tray been in over winter? It should be removed when not 'in use' as the debris gets trapped on it and the bees can't access it to clean it.
:iagree:

Loads of different creepy crawlies like to potter around in the crap that falls through the OMF - I'm not a bugologist so I won't hazard a guess, but pretty certin nothing to bother the bees.

Yes, the tray has been there all winter - thanks for the advice! Could these bugs be 'pollen mites' I wonder?

Has the inspection tray been in over winter? It should be removed when not 'in use' as the debris gets trapped on it and the bees can't access it to clean it. Thus you get bugs etc feeding on the hive rubbish.
You can leave them in. I do, but I remove them every now and then to clean. It can tell you a lot of what's going on in a hive.

I had a colony that I thought might be dead. I cleaned the tray and about a week later saw wax debris on the floor in the typical pattern of a colony that's alive and well.

Ps: nice image of the bug, but I don't know what it is either.

I think its one of the "Syphpalids", not to ce confused with a nasty STD infection!!
These are the ones that are used as biological control in greenhouses, they eat red spider mites. probably a good thing to have !! I may be wrong, its a long time since I've been looking at that stuff!
I like to put my trays back in this time of year, i am sure it might help with heat in the brood nest, as the early spring build up starts.

Latest posts

Back