Goodbye to a Queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumberman

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 and ahem "a few more"
Mother of 30 000 or so tyrants( pingers, followers and very skitty on combs) got her comeuppance today with the installation of her replacement in a nucleus. They seemed fine last year, and its interesting to note in other threads that I am not alone with this.........

I hate killing an otherwise very prolific queen, but I need to be able to enjoy my beekeeping as well as be able to watch them come and go without wondering when the next kamikaze is going to go straight for my hair.

What is the punishment for regicide?

She seemed fine last year.... probably because they were small.... when they get their "confidence" things can be very different.

PH

She seemed fine last year.... probably because they were small.... when they get their "confidence" things can be very different.

PH

Nope - were on double brood, one of my most productive hives. Queen would have been mated Mid June.

Plumberman,

well done!

- I posted on a beekeeping forum yonks ago asking for advice on how to kill a complete colony because I was scared of children in a 50ft radius being randomly stung. The replies still make me sleep in fear of reprisals!

richard

Latest posts

Back