Good On Him

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most folk would have poisoned them but not these people .. good on them.
Crap vid by the way but you can see the amount of work that went into saving them.. still wondering though... how the rest of the wall never collapsed...:rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Tn3Nc69lvA&t=2s

:winner1st:
Reminded me of the house in Callington***** where me and "The Naked Beekeeper" cut out a similar colony... literately "crowd funded" by the residents who did not want to have the bees killed (nice natives too)

Fortunately I had photographed the blocks before they were cut out.. so the wall could be rebuilt.. less the overflow hole that they made their entrance in the first place!!!

**** Honey fair tomorrow 3rd October......
Chons da

Reading the comments it seems as if somebody had already tried and failed to poison them
The Bartlett Bee Whisperer David Glover
The hive had been sprayed with pesticide. None of the extraneous combs were kept.

For completeness I would have liked to have seen the finished job, all bricked up again. I wonder why this job was tackled through the external wall. For the sake of the integrity of the building surely an internal cut out would have been a better job. All good fun though.

Easier to re do outside brick work than internal plus plastering/board then re dec. I have a yew tree that’s been dropped, about 2ft thick were the bees are entering and am going to look Wednesday. I may get it shortened to say 1ft each side of the entrance so I can remove the trunk and feed/treat or try and cut out. Depends a bit on how much damage was done when the trunk hit the deck

Last edited:
Reading the comments it seems as if somebody had already tried and failed to poison them

For completeness I would have liked to have seen the finished job, all bricked up again. I wonder why this job was tackled through the external wall. For the sake of the integrity of the building surely an internal cut out would have been a better job. All good fun though.

If you read the comments under the vid., you will see that the wall was a deep foundation wall with "cinder blocks" forming the inner skin. Going in from the outside was the only option. In addition, doing it this way, all the bees stayed outside the building. I think I might have propped up the window sill while it had no support but I'm a belt and braces and piece of string sort of character. It would have been nice to see at least one comb cut-out and fitted into a frame at normal speed in close-up but as Millet pointed out, it's a crap vid anyway!

CVB

In the American clip the garage is a single skin wall dry lined inside... in the German clip it is a double skin wall which would mean the wall plate would have been on the internal breeze block wall.. the internal wall on cavity wall buildings takes the full weight of the trussed roof..

I've done a couple of Cavity wall cut outs, one on Random stone, as above comment I had to number the stone blocks and photograph them for reassembly.

I saw this posted on Facebook and to be honest that was dodgy! what exactly was holding up the window and wall above? good job in getting them out but can you imagine if the wall collapsed :eek:

Latest posts

Back