Giving a frame of eggs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herefordshirehoney

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
3 poly langstroths
Hi,

I think I must have damaged or squished a queen somehow not sure how on my inspection Thursday as I had about 20 queen cells on Friday evening. As this was my first time I split it into two hive's to give me some redundancy and chosen two cells that wasn't as easy for me to damage to begin with.

On the smaller nuc it looks like a better queen cell. The other one is attached all the way to the side of the comb. Both are capped now, the question is do I just let them get on with it or cut a zig zag in a frame of egg's from my other time and cull the one and see what happens...... This hive was prolific and good honey crop however seemed bees had followers and flying traits, however my other hive doesnt have them but is slower and a lot claimer.

Also am I best reversing the hive's round this Friday like in an AS as the original hive seems to have a lot more bees in it even know I shaken quite a few.

Your call. It is up to you where your queens come from - the deceased queen or your other colony. But you should have considered this before spliting the colony?

Your call. It is up to you where your queens come from - the deceased queen or your other colony. But you should have considered this before spliting the colony?

I was quite stressed when doing it being first time and took me a long time with bee's everywhere. My notes I had with me only told me what todo with an existing queen so I messed it up in lots of places that'd id change now.

As im going to recombine at some stage I think im going to leave alone and see what happens good learning curve. I think im trying to run before walking here!

I was quite stressed when doing it being first time and took me a long time with bee's everywhere. My notes I had with me only told me what todo with an existing queen so I messed it up in lots of places that'd id change now.

As im going to recombine at some stage I think im going to leave alone and see what happens good learning curve. I think im trying to run before walking here!

We've all been there!

If you don't like the genes of that hive then you could remove the QC, then any emergency ones they put up- bear in mind they will start emergency queens from 2-day old larvae, so if she was still laying on Thursday they could still be putting up cells tomorrow.

Then donate a frame- you don't need to worry about cutting it to shape, they'll know what to do. You could do this on one part only, as an experiment.

The good thing about having more than one hive is that it becomes a lot less of a crisis if you lose a queen.

If you're planning to recombine I wouldn't worry about trying to balance up the two parts.

Ok thanks - think i'm going to leave it and just check wed/thursday before the queen emerges to make sure there's no more rogue cells. I've got 2 new queens on order for start of august to replace my existing queens so im sure I can live with it in the interim and combine back down to two once it settles down.

Latest posts

Back