GBKA Auction Tomorrow

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somerford

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Wiltshire, Somerset, S Glos & S Oxfordshire
Hive Type
National
Hi all

Apologies for the short notice

But I figure those who know will be going anyway

Gloucestershire BKA auction tomorrow

Cheltenham Racecourse - Riding for the Disabled arena at the far end

Lots accepted 8am-11am

Auction starts 12 noon

Live bees auctioned 3pm

Hachi and myself will be there. Peteinwilts cant make it as he's teaching ridiculously wealthy people how to teach bees !!

KR

Somerford

I shall be there. I have FAR too many bees :hairpull:, and want to allow somebody else the opportunity to harvest their COPIOUS amounts of honey:cool:

I didn't manage to get there last year, but it's a terrible place -it has loads of things you didn't know you needed, for (Some) bargain prices....

Personally, I'm hoping people get completely carried away when it comes to really good colonies of bees lol. :party:

Just seen the reports on the bees for sale and the majority are very poor. Mine are the 14x12 full colonies, which have at least got nice comments from the team inspecting them

Last edited:
A good day out with like minded souls. Shame we didn't catch up Beanwood, We did manage to get it all in the back of the landy..... but only just LOL

Yes indeed only Just Ian !!

The auction, compared with previous years, seemed quieter and fewer lots and buyers too.

Yet again some annoyingly small lots which should have been combined to make larger lots, and some large lots that should have been split to allow other to get a look in.

Crazy price of the day went to Lot 1 - a carry box with a glass screen for a frame - some Seasonal Bee Inspectors and one of the organisers entered a bidding war for it and it went for well over £125

Mad price of the day - £1 for a couple of bee books.....I'll let Hachi explain his excitement

Unbelievable prices of the day - £80 for a full colony of bees (x 2 lots) explained to me later by David Pearce (Somerset Thorne Agent) that with the swarming season suddenly upon us bee prices reflect that....well some nucs fetched £130...explain the logic of buyers to me !!

A good day out and Hachi lost his (Auction) cherry to boot. I think he'll be back !

KR

Somerford

Unbelievable prices of the day - £80 for a full colony of bees (x 2 lots) explained to me later by David Pearce (Somerset Thorne Agent) that with the swarming season suddenly upon us bee prices reflect that....well some nucs fetched £130...explain the logic of buyers to me !!

Tell me about it.

Madness. £70 for a 'thing' containing "No queen seen, No eggs, Queen cell"
yet my 14x12 colony - 10 good seams of bees, BIAS, also fetched £70!!!!

They've already produced 2 supers of honey this season. I even put two new frames of foundation in to keep them busy, should the new owner not have time to inspect for a week.

I don't think I'll bother again. :hairpull:

Back