Galvanised, black epoxy or stainless steel omf?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stainless pros you can scorch it, lasts a very long time. Cons expensive. Personality I buy the black stuff, if it gets damaged or rusty I just remove it and fit a new mesh

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

A Yorkshireman spending brass on wire mesh - for shame ...

Take yourself off to your local boot-sale and keep an eye open for old-fashioned fireguards - the mesh sort. Dented, bashed, a little bit rusty - it really doesn't matter. The mesh flattens out easy enough and is often big enough for two boxes. A light wire-brushing followed by a couple of coats of paint works wonders.

LJ

You say you vape under the mesh so I would disagree with any suggestion ^^^ of using paint in case the heat from your vaping melts the paint and creates fumes that would harm the bees.
I suppose it's just about impossible that a galvanised finish would yield fumes in the heat from a vape device.
Stainless would be the best choice, although I have one or two hives with aluminium mesh myself.

You say you vape under the mesh so I would disagree with any suggestion ^^^ of using paint in case the heat from your vaping melts the paint and creates fumes that would harm the bees.

I've always thought it's pretty daft vapourising underneath the OMF - but if you really must, then use High Temperature Paint - such as Toolstation #64927 - good for 650 deg C.

If your OMF ever gets that hot, then it really wouldn't matter if the paint melts or not ... :)
LJ

I've always thought it's pretty daft vapourising underneath the OMF - but if you really must, then use High Temperature Paint - such as Toolstation #64927 - good for 650 deg C.

If your OMF ever gets that hot, then it really wouldn't matter if the paint melts or not ... :)
LJ

Can we just imagine how hot the vape would be if it melted paint.. i think we might have a new solution here for killing bees with chronic diseases ... lol..

We bought a load of stainless ones, as everyone says here they will last so much longer. You need a good pair of 'snips' to cut them if they need cutting.

A good fellow member past a tip on to me which was paint the carbon steel varroa mesh with Aluminum Paint, i have not tried it yet but i can see it helping.

I spray it with zinc paint. (I am too mean to buy stainless)

Spraying with an aerosol is much quicker than a brush - and a more even finish.

Back